Author Topic: Magazine Article Ideas  (Read 76512 times)

as

Re: Magazine Article Ideas
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
"The PCLinuxOS directory structure explained"
Along the lines of http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxdir.html

Are you offering as a volunteer ?  ;D 

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:26 PM »
"The PCLinuxOS directory structure explained"
Along the lines of http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxdir.html

Silver22,

Thanks for the suggestion. Something like this ... but a bit more detailed, indepth and customized to PCLinuxOS ... is on my "to do" list.

Stay tuned!

Paul Arnote [parnote]
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

MuddleFuddle

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »
You haven't mentioned any sexy Firefox add-ons lately.

Here are my suggestions for the add-ons I couldn't manage without:

MORE ESSENTIAL FIREFOX ADD-ONS

These have been covered before in PCLOSMAG:

BetterPrivacy 1.68   http://nc.ddns.us/extensions.html
Kills all cookies dead!

DownloadHelper 4.9.9
  http://www.downloadhelper.net/
Download movies to your hard drive.

These are excellent and deserve a mention too:

Flashblock 1.5.15.1   http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
Stops flash from downloading and playing unless you want to see it.  Protects you from unsolicited movies that steal all your bandwidth.  Works well with DownloadHelper (see above) and YouTube.

gTranslate 0.9   https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/918
Right-click selected text for instant translation in pop-up window.

Mozilla Archive Format 2.0.5   http://maf.mozdev.org/
Create single-file archive of current tab or all tabs.  Can create backward-compatible MSIE mhtml file too!

Nuke Anything Enhanced 1.0.2
  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nuke-anything-enhanced/?src=api
Obliterate those hideous floating objects that obscure so many websites.  Right-click it, nuke it, and it's gone!  You can also "undo" a delete that took away an important bit of the page.

Pixlr Grabber 2.1.1
  http://www.pixlr.com/
Save any part of the displayed web-page to an image file.  Has an online editing option too.

Print Edit 8.3
  https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/print-edit/
Take out the adds, pictures, blank spaces and other junk before you print a web-page.

SyncPlaces 5.0.1   http://www.andyhalford.com/syncplaces/index.html
Store and synchronize your bookmarks on any server or a harddrive/usbdrive too.  No subscriptions reqd.
UPDATE: Andy Halford, developer of SyncPlaces has abandoned the project.  This addon is no longer available

Wiktionary and Google Translate 5.8.1
  http://www.toptip.ca/
hover over a word and get a dictionary lookup in a pop-up window. NEAT!

Also nice to have if you use like to post news items to Facebook

AddThis 3.5.7
  www.addthis.com
Share any web-page that does not have its own "share" button.

Offline sam2fish

• CDN Praires Guy
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »
I'm sorry.  I only read the first page, and have to leave home shortly.

I have a half-decent dell tower that I want to make into a ftp-server.  I have windows-xp on it, but would like the security of Linux.  Why can't an end-user as I, get what I want without having to learn a massive amount of Linux first?

Secondly.... I like to collect backgrounds from all over the world.  Including lots from my neck-of-the-woods.  What about a "my neck-of-the-woods, pics & background spot?
1) In.Win Tower: ROG board, 3.2x4 cpu, 16-gigs ram, 4 hdrv's, 2 32" screens.  2) Toshiba 17" C870 Laptop, 8-gigs ram.  3) Aspire 15" 5536 Laptop, 8-gigs ram.  (all three run KDE-Darkstar)

Offline Xenaflux

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
Why can't an end-user as I, get what I want without having to learn a massive amount of Linux first?

At 38 that amount looks small
at 48 the same amount looks much bigger
at 58 the same amount looks massive

Solution: Get 38 again.
fwiw: I also have that problem
If I Try To Figure It Out Myself, It Takes A Week.
If I Ask You, It Takes One Hour !
Capito ?

Online Mr. Cranky Pants - YouCanToo

• PCLinuxOS Tester
    • Where Monkey Business gets done.......
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
I have windows-xp on it, but would like the security of Linux.  Why can't an end-user as I, get what I want without having to learn a massive amount of Linux first?

It's Winders that is why it is never going to be as secure as Linux ;) As for an FTP server in Linux is IS NOT that hard to setup and run. One does NOT have to learn a massive amount of Linux first either.

In memory of Dudley Do Wright - Feb 6 2009 - Oct 26 2016
ChimpBox Quad Core Prototype - AMD Fusion APU A4-5200 - Radeon HD8330 Graphics - 16GB DDR3 - KDE

Offline The Chief

• Put Government Beast Back in Constitutional Cage
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2012, 05:34:29 PM »
As for an FTP server in Linux is IS NOT that hard to setup and run. One does NOT have to learn a
massive amount of Linux first either.
Well, once you know how, it's easy - like anything else.   :D :D

Retired Senior Chief, Retired Software Engineer, Active GrandPa
Dell 5755, 17 inch laptop, 1600x900 display, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, PCLinuxOS 2017.07 KDE5, updated on Thursdays (usually).

Online Mr. Cranky Pants - YouCanToo

• PCLinuxOS Tester
    • Where Monkey Business gets done.......
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
As for an FTP server in Linux is IS NOT that hard to setup and run. One does NOT have to learn a

Which FTP server were/are you trying to setup and run?

In memory of Dudley Do Wright - Feb 6 2009 - Oct 26 2016
ChimpBox Quad Core Prototype - AMD Fusion APU A4-5200 - Radeon HD8330 Graphics - 16GB DDR3 - KDE

Offline The Chief

• Put Government Beast Back in Constitutional Cage
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »

Which FTP server were/are you trying to setup and run?

None, but the observation stands.  It's easy after the blood and pain.  Just as an appendectomy...

Retired Senior Chief, Retired Software Engineer, Active GrandPa
Dell 5755, 17 inch laptop, 1600x900 display, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, PCLinuxOS 2017.07 KDE5, updated on Thursdays (usually).

Offline alansecker

• PCLinuxOS Tester
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »
During the last couple of weeks, like a lot of people in the UK, I lost my digital TV channels and couldn't scan for their replacements. With a bit of help and a compile of w_scan, I got it together. It's a bit parochial but would you like the nitty gritty written up?

I could also provide w_scan compiled to the current 64-bit kernel although I don't know how to package it into an rpm.

Offline Legs11

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Super Villain
  • Veni Vidi Vici MLU
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
During the last couple of weeks, like a lot of people in the UK, I lost my digital TV channels and couldn't scan for their replacements. With a bit of help and a compile of w_scan, I got it together. It's a bit parochial but would you like the nitty gritty written up?

I could also provide w_scan compiled to the current 64-bit kernel although I don't know how to package it into an rpm.

Was that only necessary because you were using 64 bit, as w_scan is in the 32 bit repo .....  or does the package need updating?

I mention it only because it is my understanding that the mag will not be carrying 64 bit articles until 64bit is released.

"Posterity - a paultry form of eternity"  L. Cohen

Kernel: 5.4.12-pclos1;  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 ;  TK: QT 5.12.6; Mobo: ASUSTeK P8Z68-V PRO v: Rev 1.0.1;   CPU: Quad core i7-3770S;   Mem: 8 GB;   Graphics: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd;   Display:  LG 2560x1080 60Hz

Neal

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
w_scan has been added to 64bit repo.     

When the mag staff is ready to do 64bit articles, they will do some fine articles. I have no doubt of that. :)     

Offline parnote

• The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2012, 11:04:50 PM »
Ok ... I've been going back through this thread, and I've found a few things that I can definitely do. I should be able to do the Kompozer article, since I use Kompozer every month to update the new PCLinuxOS Magazine website. I should also be able to cover the repurposed use of older computers (that one completely escaped my mind, until I went back through this list).

Might I ask the rest of you to do as I've done, and go back through this thread to see if there are any articles that you might be able to help provide? Me and Meemaw are pretty proficient in a lot of areas, but just like with everyone else, there are areas where we have next to no knowledge. It's definitely in those areas that we need your help.

There's a LOT of really good ideas here. Let's see if we can come together and get as may of these topics covered as we can.

Let me know if you see something listed here that you can help with!

Thanks!

Paul Arnote [parnote]

Offline parnote

• The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »
Just so it is clear, this is how Screenshot Showcase selections are made:

1) Only one screenshot per user per month will appear, so as to even the playing field between those who post prolifically and those who post sporadically.

2) The selected screenshot should include a fairly high quality, original or unique wallpaper and/or theme.

3) Feature as many of the available desktop environments/window managers as possible, since PCLinuxOS features so many to choose from.

4) The screenshots must be in good taste and appropriate for publication in the magazine. This means PG or G rated materials.

5) The desktop environment must be able to either be discerned by looking at the screenshot, or it must be denoted in the screenshot post.

6) The screenshot posted must be of sufficient size as to allow clean publication in the magazine. Screenshots that are too small will, unfortunately, be eliminated from consideration. Posted screenshots must be a minimum of 550 pixels wide for consideration. Of course, larger is better, since we will resize all images prior to publication in the magazine, using a resizing algorithm that preserves the quality of the screenshot for publication in the magazine.

7) Screenshots created with too great of a level of JPG compression will be eliminated from consideration, given the lossy nature of JPG compression and the resulting artifacts in the image, lowering image quality.

So, while random, the selection of screenshots must fit into the guidelines we've established for the magazine. Screenshot Showcase is an effort to showcase PCLinuxOS, its users, and the wide range of desktop environments available to PCLinuxOS users. Trust me -- I am fully aware that The PCLinuxOS Magazine is read by many who are NOT PCLinuxOS users.

parnote

Just a reminder about Screenshot Showcase.

I might also add one more condition that may determine whether a screenshot post is used ... call it number 8. We will not feature screenshots that feature items from testing. This means (at the moment) no screenies from users running 64 bit ISOs, no kernels from testing, or anything else that is not generally available to the average new user.

Thanks guys! Y'all post some mighty fascinating and fine screenshots. Please ... keep on posting!

parnote

Offline NiklasAx

• New Friend
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2012, 03:53:48 AM »
As a new user to linux and PCLinuxOS I'd suggest something like a newbie edition for people wanting to migrate from windows. I have tested a bunch of different distros the last couple of weeks and, I hope, finally found what I was looking for in PCLOS. But, it would make things a lot easier if there were somewhere you could go to find more basic guides that fit your specific needs. This might fit more in a specific forum topic or site section. I'm involved in running a small browserbased game and know how important it is with easy accessible help. I know this isn't an commercial site, but I bet a collection of more newbie friendly articles would be very helpfull.

I have a few idéas myself and most of that is already available around the site in already published articles or in forum posts. Some things that I as a experienced windows user that uses his PC mostly for music, watching movies and series, chatting and surfing would appreciate myself would for instance be.

1. Setting up a working sound environment with HDMI. Let's face it, HDMI is coming more and more and in general it's a pest to get working in linux. That alone was one of two things that made me keep looking for other distros after having tried most of the popular ones. The other things was the difficulties to get my monitor and TV set up correctly, side by side and not over and under which for some reason was the only way that would be accepted by other distros, no matter what drivers I used. That and getting the primary display setting to actually stick after a reboot or shutdown.

This took care of my sound problems: http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201209/page08.html

This fixed the primary display  issue: http://divby0.blogspot.se/2011/11/howto-make-kde-remember-dual-monitor.html

The "extended desktop" problem was actually fixed by ATI CC in PCLOS, no idea what's done different here compared to for example ubuntu. It's probably set up better since it's included in the distro from start.

Some other things I've had problems with is finding players for my music and movies/series. Audacious seems to be the best for handling large collections of music, 1300 hours of music mostly in high quality flac files, other players would simply crash trying to add all the files to the library. VLC for some reason have a sync problem between picture and sound, so I'm using XBMC even though I have to run it in window mode because of problems getting it to recognizing my monitor setup.

Having PCLOS auto mount hard drives is also something I think most people "need", I think I found a topic in the forum that helped in that regard.

Setting up xchat is also something that's been a challenge, much less so though than some of the other stuff. It's mostly been about having it auto authing on startup/connection.

Even if my problems are related to very specific areas some of them are things that I think new users "expect" to, if not as easy as in windows, at least having easy accessible guides to be able to set it up properly. The most computer savvy individualls are the younger generation, and even if many of them are proned to playing games, many also have HTPC's and use PC's as a media center and could as easily, with some help, use PCLOS for that. And with steam going for the linux market I'm guessing more people might want to give linux a try in regards to playing games as well.

I know there are guides or HOWTO's for most things but it takes a lot of time to actually find any usefull information if all you want is to set up your PC to work more or less like windows. Linux is on one hand extremely customizable, much more so than windows, but sometimes there is such a thing as "too much options".

And this leads me to something that I've found very usefull in windows to make reinstalling the OS simpler and that's knowing where files are stored. In windows it's usually in program files/program files (x86) and appdata which makes it very easy to save any setups you have for your programs. I saw someone mentioning something similar earlier in this topic. Knowing which files to save would also be usefull so you simply could install the programs you usually use and then just replace the necessary files with your old saved ones to get your specific settings back even on a newly installed system.

I've already tried this and it didn't really work.

http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201209/page09.html

And that doesn't really save specific setting anyway I guess?

Granted, I only tried it to revert changes made to the same system, not on a completely new system.

Time to stop ranting now I think.  :P