Author Topic: Magazine Article Ideas  (Read 76491 times)

Neal

Re: Magazine Article Ideas
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
Thanks for the help Leiche!

You're gonna enjoy it, John. :)     

Thank you, Leiche! :D     

+1

But also be aware of the changes adopted since then, like for example instead of the archive files as tar.gz or tar.bz2, it should now only be tar.xz.

Also, someone should add a how to on git and subversion.

Plus the rpm commands we use are now rpmbuild. You should read through the threads in the Packagers section, John, especially the most recent.     

ljwheeler

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
Not so much an article idea, but a suggestion related to the Screenshot Showcase pages. I would be surprised if this hasn't already been suggested. Providing a link to the showcased desktop wallpaper would be really cool to some PCLinuxOS users and magazine subscribers.

glamdering

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:46 PM »
Widget reviews/suggestions

Offline Archie

• Global Moderator
  • Super Villain
  • Eureka! PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
A centerfold!  ;D

Offline Meemaw

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 10:14:42 AM »
A centerfold!  ;D

You volunteering?     ;D ;D ;D
PCLinuxOS Magazine Asst. Editor

We miss you, Joble!  (R.I.P. 10/13/11)
We miss you, Tara-Rain-9.5ß!  (R.I.P. 8/28/16)
We miss you, Sproggy! (R.I.P. 12/23/19)

Offline Legs11

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Super Villain
  • Veni Vidi Vici MLU
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »
I would like to suggest an article (maybe a series?) dealing with a PC and/or Laptop, with Win 7 pre-installed .......  and instructions to the new user who is not familiar with hardware or software, outlining the approach to use to successfully manage a dual boot installation of PCLOS.

I realise it would be a large undertaking .....  particularly as PCs come preconfigured with different partitions and contents ....  and so it would need careful separation of the various steps to take account of the differences.

Nevertheless, I think it would be a great resource to have so that the help forums could point to it for initial reading for those new to such things.
If the article/s included hints to what the new user should supply to the forum when seeking help on such matters that also could cut down on the responses asking for details, and thus the frustration of the new user.

regards

EDIT:
            In addition, it is noticeable we have some very hardware knowledeable people as members, so a further suggestion might be to incorporate into that series, hardware information, tips, tricks, do's & don't's and so on, from replacing or adding a HDD, to checking memory, PSU and other hardware.

;)
"Posterity - a paultry form of eternity"  L. Cohen

Kernel: 5.4.12-pclos1;  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 ;  TK: QT 5.12.6; Mobo: ASUSTeK P8Z68-V PRO v: Rev 1.0.1;   CPU: Quad core i7-3770S;   Mem: 8 GB;   Graphics: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd;   Display:  LG 2560x1080 60Hz

Offline smileeb

• smileesplace
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2011, 02:19:23 PM »
I would like to suggest an article (maybe a series?) dealing with a PC and/or Laptop, with Win 7 pre-installed .......  and instructions to the new user who is not familiar with hardware or software, outlining the approach to use to successfully manage a dual boot installation of PCLOS.

I realise it would be a large undertaking .....  particularly as PCs come preconfigured with different partitions and contents ....  and so it would need careful separation of the various steps to take account of the differences.

Nevertheless, I think it would be a great resource to have so that the help forums could point to it for initial reading for those new to such things.
If the article/s included hints to what the new user should supply to the forum when seeking help on such matters that also could cut down on the responses asking for details, and thus the frustration of the new user.

regards

EDIT:
            In addition, it is noticeable we have some very hardware knowledeable people as members, so a further suggestion might be to incorporate into that series, hardware information, tips, tricks, do's & don't's and so on, from replacing or adding a HDD, to checking memory, PSU and other hardware.

;)

(Idea) Could that be setup as a special edition like a few that have been done.

Registered Linux User # 422728

djohnston

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »

I'd be glad to work on that. But, I would need a PC or laptop with Windows7 installed ...

Offline rubentje1991

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Rubenus Parvus MCMXCI
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »

I'd be glad to work on that. But, I would need a PC or laptop with Windows7 installed ...

Well, I have a laptop like that currently somewhere here (don't use it myself....)
=> possibly, I can use that one as example to remove all traces of win7, and let PCLinuxOS playing in full joy over the laptop...  :D
But at the moment no time at all (maybe within 4 months or so?) - and my English is not that good too...  ::) (however, it would be possible if someone "cleans" it up a little bit)
=> but if someone sooner has some time to accomplish such thing, that would be excellent  8)

Offline Legs11

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Super Villain
  • Veni Vidi Vici MLU
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »

Easily managed if you have a HDD to spare .......  Win 7 can be installed without a reg key, for some 30 days.  ;)

Kernel: 5.4.12-pclos1;  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 ;  TK: QT 5.12.6; Mobo: ASUSTeK P8Z68-V PRO v: Rev 1.0.1;   CPU: Quad core i7-3770S;   Mem: 8 GB;   Graphics: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd;   Display:  LG 2560x1080 60Hz

Offline rubentje1991

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Rubenus Parvus MCMXCI
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 09:04:52 AM »
Easily managed if you have a HDD to spare .......  Win 7 can be installed without a reg key, for some 30 days.  ;)

And if you have an ISO, but with that, I can help you....
=> however, some (many?) laptops current on the market contain some "recovery" partition; if you press some key combo on startup, it restores the default configuration (win7 with all other drivers/software-crap)...
I like to remove that restant too; however, some people don't (of course not the people having to support your laptop, because when they want to, they just make a backup of your data, and do a restore - happy that I'm with that solution  ::)) => after removing the recovery partition, even that's not possible anymore

Offline Legs11

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Super Villain
  • Veni Vidi Vici MLU
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »
I noticed lately that Win 7 installs its boot manager on a small (100MB) partition, and the rest of the OS on a second partition.

But all of those different methods would be part of the articles to be written .....  what partitions can or cannot be deleted etc. and what the result of doing so would be.

Offline rubentje1991

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Rubenus Parvus MCMXCI
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
I noticed lately that Win 7 installs its boot manager on a small (100MB) partition, and the rest of the OS on a second partition.

But all of those different methods would be part of the articles to be written .....  what partitions can or cannot be deleted etc. and what the result of doing so would be.

Yep, that's the case... (noticed it a few weeks ago, when installing win7 (dualboot) for some programming contest  ::))
=> maybe those articles also can be placed on pclinuxoshelp.com (knowledge base)

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »
Not so much an article idea, but a suggestion related to the Screenshot Showcase pages. I would be surprised if this hasn't already been suggested. Providing a link to the showcased desktop wallpaper would be really cool to some PCLinuxOS users and magazine subscribers.

To the WALLPAPER? That's not going to be possible. First of all, we showcase SCREENSHOTS, not wallpaper. Even I don't know which randomly selected screenshots are going to be in the magazine until right before it is released. My suggestion would be to find the post where the user posted the screenshot (name and date are shown in the magazine with the image) and send that user a private message with your request.

To provide links to the wallpaper would mean 1) contacting all 10 people who's screenshots are going to appear in that month's magazine, 2) waiting for those 10 people to send me links to that wallpaper -- if they exist, 3) depend on those users to remember where they found that wallpaper -- and being able to find it again, and 4) in the case of original artwork, finding a place to host the image (not too big of a problem today, but it could be for some users). All of this adds up to an incredible amount of work and would result in an additional delay in releasing the magazine during the first week of the month, as is the current release schedule.

Just so it is clear, this is how Screenshot Showcase selections are made:

1) Only one screenshot per user per month will appear, so as to even the playing field between those who post prolifically and those who post sporadically.

2) The selected screenshot should include a fairly high quality, original or unique wallpaper and/or theme.

3) Feature as many of the available desktop environments/window managers as possible, since PCLinuxOS features so many to choose from.

4) The screenshots must be in good taste and appropriate for publication in the magazine. This means PG or G rated materials.

5) The desktop environment must be able to either be discerned by looking at the screenshot, or it must be denoted in the screenshot post.

6) The screenshot posted must be of sufficient size as to allow clean publication in the magazine. Screenshots that are too small will, unfortunately, be eliminated from consideration. Posted screenshots must be a minimum of 550 pixels wide for consideration. Of course, larger is better, since we will resize all images prior to publication in the magazine, using a resizing algorithm that preserves the quality of the screenshot for publication in the magazine.

7) Screenshots created with too great of a level of JPG compression will be eliminated from consideration, given the lossy nature of JPG compression and the resulting artifacts in the image, lowering image quality.

So, while random, the selection of screenshots must fit into the guidelines we've established for the magazine. Screenshot Showcase is an effort to showcase PCLinuxOS, its users, and the wide range of desktop environments available to PCLinuxOS users. Trust me -- I am fully aware that The PCLinuxOS Magazine is read by many who are NOT PCLinuxOS users.

parnote
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »

Well, I have a laptop like that currently somewhere here (don't use it myself....)
=> possibly, I can use that one as example to remove all traces of win7, and let PCLinuxOS playing in full joy over the laptop...  :D
But at the moment no time at all (maybe within 4 months or so?) - and my English is not that good too...  ::) (however, it would be possible if someone "cleans" it up a little bit)
=> but if someone sooner has some time to accomplish such thing, that would be excellent  8)

rubentje1991,

You have no fears ... myself, along with the help from the magazine staff, will "clean up" and polish any article you might wish to contribute. And if the quality of your posts are any indication, I suspect the we won't have much "cleaning up" to do. I do know that most of the magazine staff neither boots into Win7, nor do they have a copy. If you have such a copy, we would LOVE for you to write up a comprehensive how to article.

parnote
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!