Author Topic: Magazine Article Ideas  (Read 76515 times)

Offline Meemaw

• Never stop learning!
Re: Magazine Article Ideas
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
All excellent ideas but the magazine do need contributors. We can all pitch in with a piece or two, every month or two, and those will be significant reductions to the workload of the magazine staff, especially The Chief.

+1.

All very good ideas. But having someone contribute those articles is preferable. Try as we may, the smallish staff that does contribute to the magazine every month can't possibly cover all of this information.

parnote

I agree as well!  Someone who already knows how to do one of these things could write an article on it very easily...  if we have to learn how to do it first... then write the article.....

Come on you guys!!!  We have some awesome people in this forum who know ever so much!!!! One article from a few of you would be wonderful!!!!

;)
PCLinuxOS Magazine Asst. Editor

We miss you, Joble!  (R.I.P. 10/13/11)
We miss you, Tara-Rain-9.5ß!  (R.I.P. 8/28/16)
We miss you, Sproggy! (R.I.P. 12/23/19)

Offline longtom

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Satellite Station Africa
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 04:51:10 AM »
- did I mention I had to walk 10 miles to school? both ways up a hill?..... ;D

... in the snow - Summer and Winter .  ;D
Regards

longtom

Offline The Chief

• Put Government Beast Back in Constitutional Cage
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 04:37:15 PM »
All excellent ideas but the magazine do need contributors. We can all pitch in with a piece or two, every month or two, and those will be significant reductions to the workload of the magazine staff, especially The Chief.

Dang!  Took me a minute to figure out you weren't trying to shame me into something!

Retired Senior Chief, Retired Software Engineer, Active GrandPa
Dell 5755, 17 inch laptop, 1600x900 display, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, PCLinuxOS 2017.07 KDE5, updated on Thursdays (usually).

Offline Archie

• Global Moderator
  • Super Villain
  • Eureka! PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 09:49:43 PM »
;D

No, I wasn't... it's just how I refer to Paul when he does official magazine business matters.

But ...

;D

Offline herve49

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
Hello,

I read your magazine as per a few month and all are very interesting and beautifully detailed.
Many thanks !

On my machine, 2 programs are a mystery cron and anacron.
I think cron is only for machines that are not shutting down every day and anacron for machines that are halting every day.

My machine is launched almost every day between 8 pm and 10 pm and stopped between 11 pm and 1 am, and is not a server.

But i had never understand how to give to anacron the instructions to  launch for example a backup of datas.

Is there possible to make an article on how to use anacron ?

Hervé

Herve49

KDE64
Processor  Intel I7 5820K @ 3400 Mhz - 32 Go RAM - 2 HDD 2 Go each - video card NVIDIA GTX 750 TI - 1 internal devices DVD-RW - monitor : iiyama prolite E2710 HDS flat screen - motherboard : gigabyte X99 UD4

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »
Hello,

I read your magazine as per a few month and all are very interesting and beautifully detailed.
Many thanks !

On my machine, 2 programs are a mystery cron and anacron.
I think cron is only for machines that are not shutting down every day and anacron for machines that are halting every day.

My machine is launched almost every day between 8 pm and 10 pm and stopped between 11 pm and 1 am, and is not a server.

But i had never understand how to give to anacron the instructions to  launch for example a backup of datas.

Is there possible to make an article on how to use anacron ?

Hervé

Herve,

Excellent suggestion. I'll see if I can find someone qualified to write about these two!

parnote
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

Offline Howardb

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »
Hello:

As a somewhat new Linux user and having just returned to PCLinux I have questions about installing wireless drivers.

I would like to know how to configure and use Ndiswrapper in addition to learning how to compile and install a wireless driver so that it is always recognized and available when the laptop is started up.

I have experience with Thinkpads from IBM and Levono and have found that Linux and these machines always seem to just work.

I have a Presario CQ 56 which requires installation of a driver for a USB wireless dongle that seems to defy installation.

Thanks,

Howardb0235
64 Bit - Lenovo Thinkpad, Ideapad -Ham Radio is my other hobby.  Good in the call book since 1963.       Linux # 33722

konaexpress

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 02:33:47 AM »
If I could make a humble request.........

I would like to see an article on how to contribute to PCLOS by learning how to package software. I have plowed through the forums and done the search thing but I have not found a definitive anser as to how to do it.

Thanks -John

Neal

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »
Quote from: konaexpress
I would like to see an article on how to contribute to PCLOS by learning how to package software. I have plowed through the forums and done the search thing but I have not found a definitive anser as to how to do it.

John,     
There was an article by Leiche in the mag describing the packaging process already. Look for articles written by him, and you'll find it. Then there's the Packagers section of the forum.     

konaexpress

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
Quote from: konaexpress

John,     
There was an article by Leiche in the mag describing the packaging process already. Look for articles written by him, and you'll find it. Then there's the Packagers section of the forum.     

Hay, thanks Neal! Do you remember what month it was by chance?

Neal

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2011, 10:26:40 AM »
Sorry, no I don't remember. Maybe Leiche will remember or parnote.     

Offline daniel

• Global Moderator
  • God knows, i'm not an Angel!
    • Tipps und Tricks
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »
Yes i know...
Should i post a link?
Step down... searching...Step up...
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201007/page15.html
Good read... ;D

konaexpress

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
Thanks for the help Leiche!

Neal

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »

You're gonna enjoy it, John. :)     

Thank you, Leiche! :D     

Offline Archie

• Global Moderator
  • Super Villain
  • Eureka! PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »

You're gonna enjoy it, John. :)     

Thank you, Leiche! :D     

+1

But also be aware of the changes adopted since then, like for example instead of the archive files as tar.gz or tar.bz2, it should now only be tar.xz.

Also, someone should add a how to on git and subversion.