Author Topic: Magazine Article Ideas  (Read 76514 times)

Offline tame

Re: Magazine Article Ideas
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
. . . Would also be interested to know how to reproduce some the cartoon characters that appear on the forum using Inkscape.

you mean a tutorial on the avatars created by ms_meme?

Offline mechatotoro

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »

Keep the suggestions coming!

parnote

I don't know how much interest there is on this, but how about configuring an IME to type Japanese, Korean, etc.?

Just a thought...

djohnston

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »

I don't know how much interest there is on this, but how about configuring an IME to type Japanese, Korean, etc.?

Just a thought...

An IME?  ???

Offline mechatotoro

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »

Just a thought...

An IME?  ???

Yes, an Input Method Editor, like SCIM or iBus.

Offline Archie

• Global Moderator
  • Super Villain
  • Eureka! PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »

parnote

Just a thought...

That's an excellent idea.

Back in 2007, I was able to get FCITX working on Simplified Chinese. I am unable to repeat that success. Perhaps if someone is able to write a howto on IME, it will be helpful to non-English users of PCLinuxOS ... and even attract more non-English users.

Offline mechatotoro

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »

parnote

Just a thought...

Back in 2007, I was able to get FCITX working on Simplified Chinese. I am unable to repeat that success. Perhaps if someone is able to write a howto on IME, it will be helpful to non-English users of PCLinuxOS ... and even attract more non-English users.

Well, I succeeded activating SCIM on PCLOS KDE 2011.6    If you want me, I can start typing right away. 

djohnston

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »

Just a thought...

Well, I succeeded activating SCIM on PCLOS KDE 2011.6    If you want me, I can start typing right away. 

That is an excellent idea. Can you explain how you did it in a text file? Can you include some screen shots? We'll be happy to get it into the magazine.

Offline mechatotoro

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
That is an excellent idea. Can you explain how you did it in a text file? Can you include some screen shots? We'll be happy to get it into the magazine.

Well, I can describe the process in an .odt file with screenshots without any problem.  Will that work?

djohnston

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

Well, I can describe the process in an .odt file with screenshots without any problem.  Will that work?

Perfect! You can send it to parnote or meemaw or me. Be sure and put your name on the article. Don't worry about what it looks like, as long as it explains the process. Screenshots help with explaining the details.

Offline Archie

• Global Moderator
  • Super Villain
  • Eureka! PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »
The magazine staff are excellent in what they do. They can turn any crappy written article into a magazine-perfect composition ... and make the authors look good in the process. ;)

Neal

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 06:42:28 AM »
The magazine staff are excellent in what they do. They can turn any crappy written article into a magazine-perfect composition ... and make the authors look good in the process. ;)

A big +1 to that! :) 

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »
Well, we try!

@mechatotoro: We're VERY interested in your article!!!

FYI ... the deadline for article and graphic submission to the magazine is 10 days prior to the end of the month preceding publication. Hence, the deadline for the September issue is August 21, and the deadline for the October issue is September 20.

Email your *.odt file to pclinuxos.mag $AT gmail $DOT com. It will come straight to my inbox!

Paul Arnote [parnote]
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

Offline OldGuy

• "All that is not given, is lost." Hasari Pal
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »
Think it would be interesting to:

a) Specialty issues; all about music and PCLinuxOs, James Bond issue (inspired by last month's article about protecting your data on a laptop) - could have articles on Tor and Linux, or the Tor Browser, how to clean your machine, etc., perhaps an issue just devoted to video or photography - that might even include making your own calendars, photo greeting cards using art programs available.

b) An issue dedicated to problem fixes and work-arounds, gathered from the forum (I think would be a good place for research).  Could also include articles on gear used - like printer/scanners that work, webcam's that work out of the box.

c) An issue just for the kids (heck they should get one) about education (ugh), games (yea), and using PCLinuxOS for school research (perhaps with sites that are good for looking up subjects, or offering help with subjects like math), and writing their papers.

d) An issue just for OldGuys that shows old computers, paper tape, 6 foot high tape machines, punch cards, binary addition tricks, and other shinny things for when us old fella's want to point out to the young kids - see I told ya we had it bad and you guys have PCLinuxOS - did I mention I had to walk 10 miles to school? both ways up a hill?..... ;D

Actually the staff does a fine job at getting a new issue out each month!  I hope my humble ideas might strike a cord to offer some different views on the standard magazine.

Offline Archie

• Global Moderator
  • Super Villain
  • Eureka! PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
All excellent ideas but the magazine do need contributors. We can all pitch in with a piece or two, every month or two, and those will be significant reductions to the workload of the magazine staff, especially The Chief.

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
All excellent ideas but the magazine do need contributors. We can all pitch in with a piece or two, every month or two, and those will be significant reductions to the workload of the magazine staff, especially The Chief.

+1.

All very good ideas. But having someone contribute those articles is preferable. Try as we may, the smallish staff that does contribute to the magazine every month can't possibly cover all of this information.

parnote

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!