Author Topic: Magazine Article Ideas  (Read 76494 times)

Offline davexnet

Re: Magazine Article Ideas
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
HI all,
not sure if it's been covered in the magazine before, but how about an article
discussing the sound card and audio functionality in PCLOS?  It could cover configuration,
troubleshooting, alsa, pulse, etc,etc.
AMD64 x2 4200; 2 GB Ram; EVGA GT 610; Biostar Geforce6100 M9 MB

uncleV

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Many people ask me, why is it so easy in windows, sometimes difficult and sometimes impossible in Linux ?
Many people here being crazy ??? and asking why/how I never reinstall my OS that is - Linux.

Offline Archie

• Global Moderator
  • Super Villain
  • Eureka! PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »
All excellent ideas if we can get much of it on the mag...

Let's not let Paul down on all these. Let's make good, people. Open up Writer and start typing away. The ideas will come ... this is the age where anyone of us can contribute an essay or two to the mag.

Offline Yankee

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • In theory, theory=practice, in practice ???
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »

Hardware :

How about a monthly infobox with hardware to definitely stay away from.
My luck I'll buy a new computer with the only AMD cpu that will not run
Linux correctly.

Acer Aspire E 14 Pentium N3530 Quad Core 2.58 Ghz CPU 
8 GB RAM - 500 GB internal HD - 500 GB USB portable drive 
Intel ‎HD Graphics - 15 inch
Atheros Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek High Definition Audio
Dynex 5-Button Wired Optical Mouse
MATE

Offline The Chief

• Put Government Beast Back in Constitutional Cage
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 08:47:22 AM »
Personally,  I'd really like a tutorial on how to create a software project.  Not the coding, I know how to do that, but how you go about compiling and linking a series of source files, the paths to various libraries (and header files), what the various commands I have seen referenced (like make, configure, etc.) actually do.

I know, maybe too geeky for the general users.   >:(

Retired Senior Chief, Retired Software Engineer, Active GrandPa
Dell 5755, 17 inch laptop, 1600x900 display, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, PCLinuxOS 2017.07 KDE5, updated on Thursdays (usually).

Neal

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
Personally,  I'd really like a tutorial on how to create a software project.  Not the coding, I know how to do that, but how you go about compiling and linking a series of source files, the paths to various libraries (and header files), what the various commands I have seen referenced (like make, configure, etc.) actually do.

I like the idea.
Hmm...... maybe there could be a "Geek's Corner" for articles like this?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »

I like the idea.
Hmm...... maybe there could be a "Geek's Corner" for articles like this?

Sounds good to me! Being a dedicated geek, and all...

Dell 5755, 17 inch laptop, 1600x900 display, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, PCLinuxOS 2017.07 KDE5, updated on Thursdays (usually).

Online parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
These are all great ideas. Now, if there are any of you out there who have knowledge in these areas, get busy typing.  ;D

I'd like to see as many of these ideas mentioned here come to fruition. But please don't sit back and expect/wait for the handful of people who are writing articles for the magazine to do all the work. We all have different strengths, and only by coming together can all of these topics be properly covered.

BTW ... the excuse "I'm not much of a writer" really doesn't fly here. Myself, along with the rest of the magazine staff, will edit your article in such a way that you will definitely look like a seasoned writer ... you know ... the kind you said you weren't.  ;)

Keep the suggestions coming!

parnote
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

Offline m.e.newby

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 04:52:25 AM »
              Have already raised this on the magazine thread but think it is worth mentioning again. I would like an article on how to use kompozer and simple web design. Would also be interested to know how to reproduce some the cartoon characters that appear on the forum using Inkscape.

Offline Meemaw

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
We all have different strengths, and only by coming together can all of these topics be properly covered.

... the excuse "I'm not much of a writer" really doesn't fly here. Myself, along with the rest of the magazine staff, will edit your article in such a way that you will definitely look like a seasoned writer ...

+1

+10
PCLinuxOS Magazine Asst. Editor

We miss you, Joble!  (R.I.P. 10/13/11)
We miss you, Tara-Rain-9.5ß!  (R.I.P. 8/28/16)
We miss you, Sproggy! (R.I.P. 12/23/19)

djohnston

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:52 PM »
              Have already raised this on the magazine thread but think it is worth mentioning again. I would like an article on how to use kompozer and simple web design. Would also be interested to know how to reproduce some the cartoon characters that appear on the forum using Inkscape.

As far as inkscape goes, there's already a couple of published tutorials here http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201001/page13.html and here http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201008/page20.html.

I could not find any kompozer articles. You could always write one on the basics as you get to know the program. There are a whole slew of kompozer tutorials here http://www.thesitewizard.com/kompozer/index.shtml.

Incidentally, you can search all the magazine articles by topic here http://pclosmag.com/html/sorted.html.

djohnston

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »

Chief,

A good place to start would be right here http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,55194.0.html. You might also browse the Packagers section of the forum here http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/board,55.0.html.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »

Chief,

A good place to start would be right here http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,55194.0.html. You might also browse the Packagers section of the forum here http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/board,55.0.html.

Those seem to to be primarily packaging related.  I was more interested in the compiling - how do you typically set up include and library paths, and maybe something on make file rules and syntax.  I have experience, having done that sort of stuff for years - just never on Linux.  Mostly VMS, MS-DOS and Windows.

Online parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
TheChief,

It sounds like a great idea, but we'll have to wait for someone with a bit more experience to come along to pick this one up. I've written some applications that are based on bash scripts, but that's the extent of my "software project" experience. Even then, I pick up bits and pieces from other bash scripts that I've viewed, then tweak them to do what I want.

parnote
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

as

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:42 AM »
How about an article on creating a home network both with and without windows machines? Many of us have no windows machines, while others do have them.

+1

A "Network Primer" could be a very good and useful article. I would say a good network installation, no matter how small is the network, including basic services
like samba, network backup, network printing and so on.

Of course, I'm ready to concretely support an article on this argument.  ;)

AS