Author Topic: Replay-Gain - EasyMP3ReplayGain and compressed frequencies  (Read 349 times)

Offline Revoluz

Replay-Gain - EasyMP3ReplayGain and compressed frequencies
« on: January 11, 2020, 05:34:33 AM »
Do not rely too much on " Replay-Gain - EasyMP3ReplayGain "

As I had mentioned elsewhere, I'm trying to reorganize my sound and also improve one or the other file in the sound with Audacity.

And to prevent the sound level from hammering too much on the oscillating spring and thus not shortening the life of the speakers, I decided to set the DB level from 89 to 86.

After working on a few files, I listened to the result with my AKG DJ headphones and I noticed that some of them still sounded " overdriven ".

The DJ headphone values are 10 - 30'000 Hz / 1000 Mw / 120 DB maximum and still it was a bit overstrained at medium and full volume ( All other headphone with lower values the good sound sound was impossible, overstrained incredible ).

Predicted, Audacity showed me that these files could still be amplified between 5 to 8 DB, so no overmodulation in Audacity.

So the JackAudio started with the Jack-VU meter and chased the sound into the Jack-VU meter.

I was very surprised about what I saw, with these files the needle was 60% in the red overdrive field and sometimes a few seconds to full stop.

I know that the sound frequencies can be compressed, that it has more dynamic and still not overdrive the file.

In principle a good idea, but when unpacking the audio container the level rises enormously over the overdrive limit.

Well, all files should be checked for the compressed frequencies, which are strong and which are less copressed and with EasyMP3ReplayGain the DB level should be corrected accordingly, until only very rarely and for a very short time the file is in the overload range.

Some files can be left at 86 DB, which I recommend to remember this value as maximum default and some files may need to be set to 80 DB maximum, depending on the compression.

This applies especially to mp3, ogg and flac formats.
PCLOS lebt von Spenden und NICHT vom Kommerz!!

Niemals aufhören sich für diesen tollen BS, aktiv ein zu setzen, und auch Anfragen, Downloads direkt via Softs- und Treiber Hersteller zu tätigen. ;)

Offline Revoluz

Re: Replay-Gain - EasyMP3ReplayGain and compressed frequencies
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »
Tip update, I could find out the average volume level of flac, mp3 and ogg files thanks to the Jack Meterbridge.

The DB in the ReplayGain header should not be over 82 DB.

Well, some files could contain up to 84 DB, and others should be set to a maximum of 80 DB.

But to avoid the effect of some files sounding much quieter when you listen to them, I would set all files to 81 DB maximum and some sound files that are in the rollover level range most of the time would be set to 80 to 79 DB.

For example, I had xmms set to 80% overall volume for live streams. Now I set it to 27% and for the title of Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Lies ( Radio stream ) read the VU Meterbridge is in red most of the time, no good , 90% of time.  ;D

On top of all this I noticed a very positive effect, the sound is much clearer in all instruments and you can also hear tones ( same titles ) that I didn't notice before.  :) :)

http://bilderhochladen.org/i/XTtIo6xEbS/

http://bilderhochladen.org/img/XTtIo6xEbS.jpg

PCLOS lebt von Spenden und NICHT vom Kommerz!!

Niemals aufhören sich für diesen tollen BS, aktiv ein zu setzen, und auch Anfragen, Downloads direkt via Softs- und Treiber Hersteller zu tätigen. ;)