Author Topic: Keyboard sound controls  (Read 281 times)

Offline DavidMcCann

• New Friend
  • Eureka! It's PCLinuxOS!
Keyboard sound controls
« on: January 08, 2020, 12:01:09 PM »
I have a desktop keyboard with buttons like "volume +" and "mute". The mute works fine, but the volume ones don't. I wondered if I should add shortcuts, but the obvious question is what commands to use?

Online ⅆα√ℯℂ§

• PCLinuxOS: A revolution in personal computing
Re: Keyboard sound controls
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:17:44 PM »
I've removed  xfce-pulse applet, and instead installed "volumeicon" from the repos. Right-click on it to change the settings. On the "Channels" tab, the Device should be "default" and the Channel should be "Master".

On the status tab, the External Mixer should be "pavucontrol". If, when you place your mouse pointer on the Volume Icon in the system tray, the direction of the scroll wheel seems the wrong way around, click "reverse scroll direction". Other stuff on there according to taste.

On the Hotkeys tab, you should have three entries beginning with XF86Audio, make sure that they are all checked, this should fix your Volume Keys problem. The options on the OSD tab may make a difference to Where, Whether and How Many volume control indicators appear when you are adjusting the volume control, try them and see what happens, and pick one.

If the Hotkeys thing doesn't work you may have some sort of hardware problem.

I double-checked my own setup, and volumeicon co-operates better with the Volume/Mute keys than the xfce volume applet.
PCLinuxOS has no wealthy sponsors and can only survive with your donations! Don't wait it might be too late.

Running PCLinuxOS on Pentium G4600 with 16Gb Ram using Asus H110i-Plus Mobo and 2TB SSD in M350 case (Chimpbox)
Also Lenovo B50-45 Laptop with SSD upgrade.

Offline DavidMcCann

• New Friend
  • Eureka! It's PCLinuxOS!
Re: Keyboard sound controls
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:47:19 AM »
I've done the deletion and installation you recommended and I've still got the pulseaudio plugin on the panel, with no alternative listed as available.

PS I think I'll leave well alone — if PCLOS doesn't like just two buttons on the keyboard, I can live with that!