Author Topic: Google, Android and Linux Kernel  (Read 439 times)

Offline Legs11

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Super Villain
  • Veni Vidi Vici MLU
Google, Android and Linux Kernel
« on: January 05, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/11/google-outlines-plans-for-mainline-linux-kernel-support-in-android/

Google outlines plans for mainline Linux kernel support in Android
Google wants less forking, more modularization for Android's Linux kernel.
RON AMADEO - 11/20/2019, 12:00 AM

Google's eventual plan for Android, one kernel for every device, instead of the device-specific kernels that exist now. 

It makes for an interesting read .......   and something to bear in mind this decade ......

It seems like Google is working hard to update and upstream the Linux kernel that sits at the heart of every Android phone. The company was a big participant in this year's Linux Plumbers Conference, a yearly meeting of the top Linux developers, and Google spent a lot of time talking about getting Android to work with a generic Linux kernel instead of the highly customized version it uses now. It even showed an Android phone running a mainline Linux kernel.

"Posterity - a paultry form of eternity"  L. Cohen

Kernel: 5.4.12-pclos1;  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 ;  TK: QT 5.12.6; Mobo: ASUSTeK P8Z68-V PRO v: Rev 1.0.1;   CPU: Quad core i7-3770S;   Mem: 8 GB;   Graphics: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd;   Display:  LG 2560x1080 60Hz

Offline exploder

Re: Google, Android and Linux Kernel
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:51:13 AM »
Google does a surprisingly good job with the kernel, at least in Chrome OS. Since my divorce I have mainly used my Acer 15 Chromebook because I am using H&R Block's WiFi. Signal strength just is not good enough to keep anything else updated unfortunately....

Spyware aside, the darn thing works with everything I can throw at it! It might be interesting to see what Google can come up with. If Google could create a kernel that works across multiple devices I think they are capable of maintaining it.

I really miss using my Linux machines....

Offline kc1di

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Morse Code early digital communication medium!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
Interesting read, Guess only time will tell how it all works out.  :o
Dave KC1DI Living somewhere in Maine USA
Morse Code an early digital mode
John 3:16
Registered Linux User #462608

Offline sam2fish

• CDN Praires Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:27:07 PM »
I recently helped my brother with his new Walmart's RCA chrome-book, the type where you can take off the keyboard.

It wouldn't be for me.  It basically has the Android OS on a large mobile screen, with the option of a keyboard.

I would sooner get a netbook where I can decide what OS it has.  Android OS is is fine on my LG-G7, but not on a tablet.
1) In.Win Tower: ROG board, 3.2x4 cpu, 16-gigs ram, 4 hdrv's, 2 32" screens  ...running KDE5-Darkstar.    2) Aspire 5536 Laptop: 8-gigs ram, 240gig ssd ...running KDE5-Darkstar.