Author Topic: January 2020 issue of The PCLinuxOS Magazine has been released  (Read 940 times)

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
Re: January 2020 issue of The PCLinuxOS Magazine has been released
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 06:20:31 PM »
Thanks Magazine crew for another great issue! :)

The IPTV article really caught my eye. I purchased a year subscription to ExpressVPN and have been reading and setting it up, so far I really like it.

I've tried some of the IPTV lists from GratisIPTV using VLC and Chromecast. I've found a few stations that I was able to watch. Lots of googling to do ;)

So are you using VLC on your PCLinuxOS computer and casting to your Chromecast? If so, I'd be interested in a how-to article. I've tried and tried to get the VLC in the repos setup to cast to my Chromecast, but I've never been able to get it going. So far, VLC can never seem to even see my Chromecast (first gen ... maybe that's the problem?).
PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

Offline w3ie

• You'll have to pry PCLOS from my Cold Dead Hands!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »
Thanks Magazine crew for another great issue! :)

The IPTV article really caught my eye. I purchased a year subscription to ExpressVPN and have been reading and setting it up, so far I really like it.

I've tried some of the IPTV lists from GratisIPTV using VLC and Chromecast. I've found a few stations that I was able to watch. Lots of googling to do ;)

So are you using VLC on your PCLinuxOS computer and casting to your Chromecast? If so, I'd be interested in a how-to article. I've tried and tried to get the VLC in the repos setup to cast to my Chromecast, but I've never been able to get it going. So far, VLC can never seem to even see my Chromecast (first gen ... maybe that's the problem?).

I'm using the newest version Chromecast (2nd gen) — Firmware version 1.42.172094

Using VLC:

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD FX-8350 RAM:32 GiB SSD:SanDisk 480GB GeForce GTX 750 Ti w/KDE5 Mate TDE
Thinkpad T61 KDE5
Thinkpad X140e KDE5

Offline kc1di

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Morse Code early digital communication medium!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 06:58:46 AM »
Another great issue Thank YOU!
Dave KC1DI Living somewhere in Maine USA
Morse Code an early digital mode
John 3:16
Registered Linux User #462608

Offline DLWood

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 07:35:30 AM »
Parnote, you mentioned in the IPTV article that you use the PIA VPN service.  I went to that site and looked at the compatible OSs for Linux, and no RPM distros were listed.    I searched and found a May 2019 thread where you stated:

"I do have something in the works that will (hopefully) address the PIA issue, but like with most things, it'll be ready when it's ready. But, as a preview, I'm working on a bash script that will allow control of the PIA OpenVPN connection graphically, as well as allowing you to choose from between multiple PIA servers to connect to, graphically. I do have most of it fleshed out and working, but it's not working exactly like I want or expect."

Any update on the bash script you mentioned?

Thanks for the great Magazine and articles!!

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »
Parnote, you mentioned in the IPTV article that you use the PIA VPN service.  I went to that site and looked at the compatible OSs for Linux, and no RPM distros were listed.    I searched and found a May 2019 thread where you stated:

"I do have something in the works that will (hopefully) address the PIA issue, but like with most things, it'll be ready when it's ready. But, as a preview, I'm working on a bash script that will allow control of the PIA OpenVPN connection graphically, as well as allowing you to choose from between multiple PIA servers to connect to, graphically. I do have most of it fleshed out and working, but it's not working exactly like I want or expect."

Any update on the bash script you mentioned?

Thanks for the great Magazine and articles!!

Sorry, DLWood, but I haven't had time to work on it further. HOWEVER, it is still on my list of things I want to get done.

PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!