Author Topic: October 2019 Screenshots  (Read 2732 times)

Online Mr. Cranky Pants - YouCanToo

• PCLinuxOS Tester
    • Where Monkey Business gets done.......
October 2019 Screenshots
« on: October 01, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »
For the first of the Month

First Snow - Crater Lake, OR

In memory of Dudley Do Wright - Feb 6 2009 - Oct 26 2016
ChimpBox Quad Core Prototype - AMD Fusion APU A4-5200 - Radeon HD8330 Graphics - 16GB DDR3 - KDE

Online present_arms

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • TrinityDE Big Daddy and Openbox Remasterer
    • Trinity PCLinuxOS Remaster
Re: October 2019 Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
Second of the month :P Openbox

Offline OnlyHuman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 10:05:25 AM »
Distro Efl 1.23.0 with enlightenment 0.23

An Enlightenment e17/e19/e20/e21/e22/e23 user

Offline OnlyHuman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »
Distro Efl 1.23.0 with enlightenment 0.23 with theme using a stock e wallpaper

An Enlightenment e17/e19/e20/e21/e22/e23 user

Online present_arms

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • TrinityDE Big Daddy and Openbox Remasterer
    • Trinity PCLinuxOS Remaster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
Trinity with Steam installed via flatpak :D

Offline miyo

• Longtime user; Short-time poster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 01:32:00 AM »
Hi everyone! Though I'm new to the forum, I thought I'd jump right in and give a screenshot. I hope that's okay.

Openbox...pre present_arms' community edition era.  ;D

Still going strong! If anyone wonders what the "red star" in the system tray is, it's an update notifier. I'm ashamed to say this, but I could never figure out how to get the simple-notifier to work in Openbox  ;D , so I made my own.  ;)   :D

...plus, I just like doing stuff like that.  ;D

I have been PCLinuxOSinated.

PCLinuxOSychology: the study of how the use of PCLinuxOS affects an individual's psyche.
Often referred to as PCLOSeuphoria. Those affected may display symptoms of elation, satisfaction, and an overall feeling of elucidation.

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 02:48:31 AM »
Welcome miyo! Tell me more about your update notifier.

Offline miyo

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 03:52:35 AM »
Welcome miyo! Tell me more about your update notifier.
Thank you Tex! It's a pleasure speaking with you! Thank you so much for such a great system!

The update notifier that I use isn't perfect, because it still has one kink in it that I haven't bothered to take the time to figure out.  :-[

In looking over the simple-notifier, it appears to have the same backend (or main starting point)...a python script.

The one that I'm using consists of...

1. The main python script...it's basically the same script that is located in /usr/share/simple-notifier/notifier.py...only different.  :P
2. The icon that appears in the system tray and desktop notification...but any path to an icon will work.
3. A script to do an "apt-get update".
4. A cron job that runs the "apt-get update" script.
5. A desktop.file that goes in /etc/xdg/autostart/. However, it doesn't work on my Openbox system...I had to add the python script to my autostart file.

The cron job runs the "apt-get update" script at system startup and once every hour thereafter.

The python script checks for updates every 30 minutes AFTER system startup. When updates are available, a desktop notification and system tray icon will appear. Clicking the icon in the system tray opens Synaptic. The available updates are shown in a small window, and clicking "Mark" in that window will automatically perform the upgrade.

I say that it isn't perfect, because I still get the desktop and system tray notifications even though upgrades have been performed. I haven't taken the time to figure out why...I'm just a hacker who doesn't know what I'm hacking when I hack it.  ;D

Also, I've never taken the time to try and figure out how to make an RPM package, but I will gladly make an archive of the notifier if that will help to see the different parts.

PCLinuxOSychology: the study of how the use of PCLinuxOS affects an individual's psyche.
Often referred to as PCLOSeuphoria. Those affected may display symptoms of elation, satisfaction, and an overall feeling of elucidation.

Online Aragorn

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 05:58:27 AM »
The cron job runs the "apt-get update" script at system startup and once every hour thereafter.

The python script checks for updates every 30 minutes AFTER system startup. When updates are available, a desktop notification and system tray icon will appear. Clicking the icon in the system tray opens Synaptic. The available updates are shown in a small window, and clicking "Mark" in that window will automatically perform the upgrade.

I say that it isn't perfect, because I still get the desktop and system tray notifications even though upgrades have been performed. I haven't taken the time to figure out why...

Well, my coding days are already a long time behind me ─ i.e. the 1990s ─ except for some occasional POSIX shell scripting, but I'd say that the cause of the bug you speak of here-above would be that you're only performing the check once to "arm the condition".

As I understand it ─ and do correct me if I'm wrong ─ I imagine it should roughly work as follows...

Code: [Select]
Check whether there are any updates = compare whether what's in the repos is more recent than what's installed.
                                         ↓
                         YES ────────────────────────  NO
                          ↓                            ↓
Allow the user to install the updates.             Do nothing.
                          ↓
Check again whether there are any updates. 
                          ↓
                          NO (the user already installed the updates)

This last step should "disarm" the requirement for updating and would thus cause the icon to disappear again, or at least, I imagine it would.  So maybe your scripting doesn't include the last step?  :-\
= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

Offline miyo

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 08:03:10 AM »

I say that it isn't perfect, because I still get the desktop and system tray notifications even though upgrades have been performed. I haven't taken the time to figure out why...

Well, my coding days are already a long time behind me ─ i.e. the 1990s ─ except for some occasional POSIX shell scripting, but I'd say that the cause of the bug you speak of here-above would be that you're only performing the check once to "arm the condition".

As I understand it ─ and do correct me if I'm wrong ─ I imagine it should roughly work as follows...

Code: [Select]
Check whether there are any updates = compare whether what's in the repos is more recent than what's installed.
                                         ↓
                         YES ────────────────────────  NO
                          ↓                            ↓
Allow the user to install the updates.             Do nothing.
                          ↓
Check again whether there are any updates. 
                          ↓
                          NO (the user already installed the updates)

This last step should "disarm" the requirement for updating and would thus cause the icon to disappear again, or at least, I imagine it would.  So maybe your scripting doesn't include the last step?  :-\

Thank you. I'm on my phone, so I can't go very in depth.

Clicking the system tray icon makes the icon disappear. However, it appears again 30 minutes later despite whether updates are available or not. If I click the icon in the system tray, Synaptic will open (after entering the password). In the case of the bug, Synaptic will just automatically close if no updates are available.

I've basically adapted the notifier from another system that I hacked the notifier on and adapted for that system.  :o

On that system, it works. So there's something that I'm missing in how PCLinuxOS handles updates and upgrades. I'll hopefully...eventually...figure it out. I've just gotten used to how it acts on PCLinuxOS, so I haven't really pursued it (hangs head in shame).

Like I said...I'm just a hacker who doesn't know what I'm hacking.  ;D

When I get something to work, I'm usually quite surprised! Hahaha!

Thank you Aragorn!

Offline miyo

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 02:46:14 PM »
Well...after embarrassing myself for having to admit that my update notifier didn't work exactly right, I have worked on it (on and off) for the last few days.

Still can't figure it out.   :P

So, in order to avenge myself, I thought I'd throw one more screenshot in just for the fun of it.    ;D

Openbox with obmenu-generator providing the menu.  :)

Offline Upgreyed

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
@ miyo
I can finally say that the simple update notifier is now very working well for me & hopefully others. 
Believe me I thought it was going to whip both of us in the end but persistence payed off in the
end... Tex & I and after many days of frustrations, changes and I thought we were gonna have a fist fight over it. ;D ;D
We finally got it working like we wanted it too! ;D   

I haven't tested it on Openbox but maybe I should? Could this could resolve any past issues you might have encountered?
https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,150248.0.html
PCLinuxOS mate user and software contributor   
mate-user" border="0

Offline miyo

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
@ miyo
I can finally say that the simple update notifier is now very working well for me & hopefully others. 
Believe me I thought it was going to whip both of us in the end but persistence payed off in the
end... Tex & I and after many days of frustrations, changes and I thought we were gonna have a fist fight over it. ;D ;D
We finally got it working like we wanted it too! ;D   

I haven't tested it on Openbox but maybe I should? Could this could resolve any past issues you might have encountered?
https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,150248.0.html

Thank you! I'll try it as soon as I can...might be a day or two.

Before, when I tried simple notifier, it acted similar to what I described as the one I made. Even after installing updates, the red box would appear indicating that updates were available even though I was updated.

After pulling my hair out, I just removed mine and have been checking daily with Synaptic...so I look forward to trying this. Thank you!

Offline parnote

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • PCLinuxOS Magazine Editor
    • The PCLinuxOS Magazine
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »
Xfce ...

PCLinuxOS Magazine Chief Editor

Linux Registered User #485009

In a world without walls, who needs Windows?

PCLinuxOS Wiki: Contribute tips/tricks/how-to's!

Offline mutse

• Doet wel, ziet niet om ... al doende leren
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »
Today, on my laptop : PCLinuxOS64-MATE and VBox with KDE Plasma5 - 2019.09.iso - kernel 5.2.21 (Test).

*-PCLOS64-Maté - kernel: the latest and newest ... 5.4.xx* & -PCLOS64-Trinity - Kernel: the latest and newest ... 5.4.xx*