Author Topic: New lxde Iso in progress ( keep anyone lxde iso's 64 bit up to date? )  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
Re: keep anyone lxde iso's 64 bit up to date?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 08:11:24 PM »
You don't need passwords on the Live media and have it autologin to the guest desktop.

Code: [Select]
[root@localhost tex]# passwd -d root
Removing password for user root.
passwd: Success
[root@localhost tex]# passwd -d guest
Removing password for user guest.
passwd: Success

Offline Revoluz

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 08:50:18 PM »
Hello Tex, I am " again " here and I was never away from pclos, only, I am now completely new with the pclos 64 bit " almost " to learn again.  ;D

Thanks for this info, which is very very new for me ( I also noticed today with the autologin ). But an uncertainty remains, because when I started in live mode from the original Live CD Synaptic it asked me for the root password. And because I know that it is "root" I could start Synaptic.

For this reason, I want to make sure that even new users who see rpclos for the first time don't remain helpless and may never want to see pclos again for this "little" reason.

I think now we're going to do some OT here, Because of this autologin reason I'll open a new thread after Ike and developers have answered here if they want an additional iso maker, explicit for the lxde desktop.

And if you like my work, we can do the exact same iso in German as well.

My translated, German text in English has been translated by deepl.com translators.

Another small OT, PLinuxOS 64 bit works in the same, very good usual way as the 32 bit system, thank you and all the others much times.  :)
PCLOS lebt von Spenden und NICHT vom Kommerz!!

Niemals aufhören sich für diesen tollen BS, aktiv ein zu setzen, und auch Anfragen, Downloads direkt via Softs- und Treiber Hersteller zu tätigen. ;)

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
You remove the passwords before you make the ISO and Synaptic wont ask for a root password from the Live media. That is the way I made the MATE and KDE isos. The Trinity and LXDE ISO's still put root and guest passwords on their Live media.

Offline Revoluz

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 05:49:19 AM »
Yes, now you're giving me great security, thank you. I have to admit that removing the passwords immediately before remastering makes me a bit uncomfortable, because how can the password foot be reset after remastering?

Does the fresh, new remaster have to be reinstalled first?

Then, to simplify it, I'll set up an autologin for guest and put a small instruction text file on the guest desktop called " Install Instruction ", or better in a folder called " Install Instruction " and inside it the installer icon and the text file called " First-Read-Me ".

Now that it is clear I will prepare lxde64 for an english iso. When I'm ready I'll list all changes from the lxde-base here, with a few newly installed applications and a screenshot of root and guest.

Could take a few days. The lxde-base iso is really a minimal only for advanced users.

A first info, I'll make it a bit more user friendly, with Brasero, Audacious, maybe EOM, or LimageQt, or some other... Palemoon and mpv and necessary Muldimedia codecs and the WLan ndiswrapper. and cups, but without any other big additions like Gimp, games and so on. That's my plan for a good iso to start with.

I also need to first find out what new applications are available that didn't exist in the 32 bit system yet.

From next week on I'll get to work, today and tomorrow there will be such nice and warm weather here in Europe-Switzerland, after a longer cold phase, you just have to go out there.  ;D

Niemals aufhören sich für diesen tollen BS, aktiv ein zu setzen, und auch Anfragen, Downloads direkt via Softs- und Treiber Hersteller zu tätigen. ;)

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 06:38:23 AM »
You don't need passwords on the Live media. When you install on first boot it will ask you to create a root and user name/password. The purpose of creating Live media is to provide a means to install PCLinuxOS to a hard disk.

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »
1. create an empty partition
2. install LXDE from the latest ISO
3. update it through Synaptic
4. install a new kernel and remove the old one
5. install and remove applications as desired
6. remove passwords from root and guest
7. set for auto login to the guest account
8. do general clean up
9. type mylivecd lxde.iso
10. test it

Offline Revoluz

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
When do you sleep... ?

... The Trinity and LXDE ISO's still put root and guest passwords on their Live media.

You don't need passwords on the Live media. When you install on first boot it will ask you to create a root and user name/password. The purpose of creating Live media is to provide a means to install PCLinuxOS to a hard disk.
I had understood that, but the above quotes from you now confuse me. After translating from English to German the quote says that for Trinity and lxde in the Live CD the root/guest passwords are required.

1. create an empty partition
2. install LXDE from the latest ISO
3. update it through Synaptic
4. install a new kernel and remove the old one
5. install and remove applications as desired
6. remove passwords from root and guest
7. set for auto login to the guest account
8. do general clean up
9. type mylivecd lxde.iso
10. test it

Thanks for the first steps tips, but

4. install a new kernel and reboot immediatly
5. Check if the newest kernel is marked on boot splash
6. Check if the new kernel boots successfully until login
7. Login and remove the old kernel

What do you think?  :)

Offline kjpetrie

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Cogito ergo qui est?
    • K J Petrie
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 08:13:37 AM »
Of course. You probably only want one kernel on an ISO to save space.
KJP
-----------------------------------------------------------
PClos64 2013 (KDE5) on AMD FX 8350 on GA-970A-DS3P (Rev 2.0), 24GB RAM, Asus EN210 (Nvidia) GPU, Maxtor STM325031, 3 SSDs, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor. Also Acer 5810TG.

https://www.kjpetrie.co.uk/

Offline Revoluz

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
Of course. You probably only want one kernel on an ISO to save space.
Yes, I know that, I think these are the first steps for new users who don't know what to do first after a new installation.

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »

Offline Revoluz

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
Sleep well and rest very well.  :)

Offline JNibski

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 10:27:08 PM »
  ...  8) Had a couple of K8 motherboard /athlon64 combos still in boxes so i thought to put in towers for some underprivileged folk.......used the LATEST LXDE from March of 2018.....and had 637 updates that took place after install;  just in case anyone still cares. I totally appreciate the capable here. LXDE IS THE BEST o/s for older EQUIPT, and for those who learned Win XP methodologies....which characterizes many of the seniors I help. SO thank YOU so much TEX and the GANG - for keeping it alive here @ PCLOS ;)  ............................JN
"Don't stare at an OJ can just because it says 'concentrate'..."

Offline Xenaflux

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 01:08:10 AM »
@JNibski
......o/s for older EQUIPT........

I am not hijacking this post , nor promoting x-y-z
Do a search for < FatDog800 > , put it on a 4 or 8Gb USB stick with ddcopy and judge !
Again,..... for older computers with 1Gb or 2GbRAM
Over and Out
If I Try To Figure It Out Myself, It Takes A Week.
If I Ask You, It Takes One Hour !
Capito ?

Offline Revoluz

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 06:12:21 AM »
@JNibski

I am not hijacking this post , nor promoting x-y-z
Do a search for < FatDog800 > , put it on a 4 or 8Gb USB stick with ddcopy and judge !
Again,..... for older computers with 1Gb or 2GbRAM
Over and Out
1 GB is to old.

I understand it this way because I feel it right away, it's also about using the mouse of a desktop. One click and everything is grouped, move the mouse over it and you see everything immediately. Very fast mouse event reactions and so on.

A desktop environment is a scaffold, like a scaffold to build a house. But if a scaffold has more mass than the house itself... for me whether an older, or new PC with 16 GB RAM, lightweight it should be all times...  :)

@ JNibsk

I find the w2k-pro-sp4 much closer to me

Offline JNibski

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
...Xena...

Thanks for info Xena! ...I'm defining "older" as K8 and newer.  There are several LINUX renditions happening every day and the "FATDOG" from puppy seems nice.    Some/most of the older motherboards only have 2 ram slots with ddr400.  LXDE uses approximately 500 mb  which is fine. I just had a few MB left over from years ago NEW in box to try. PCLOS LXDE has been working fine for my senior clients for years, and was easy to "convert" them from their broken WINDOWS boxes.
Till 32 bit became extinct - I now use i3 or newer 64 bit motherboards (with higher ram capacities) and it flies. Its True there are other fine distros such as "SPARKY" which still has 32 bit versions, but PCLOS made the transition fairly well and I will continue to promote- as long as LXDE continues here. 8)
...@REVOLUZ,
...I find the w2k-pro-sp4 much closer to me

Yes, i understand, but with GUI advancements we are becoming more "sophisticated" or maybe "spoiled".... ;D ;) ::)
 ....I have a Macintosh from 1985 that still works...but i just look at it as a relic or souvenir now.  :-\ The Internet and "GAMERS" have contributed to changing things. 8)

"Don't stare at an OJ can just because it says 'concentrate'..."