Author Topic: Creating a New VM in VirtualBox (Illustrated)  (Read 7314 times)

Offline kjpetrie

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Cogito ergo qui est?
    • K J Petrie
Re: Creating a New VM in VirtualBox (Illustrated)
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
Are you offered VT-x/AMD-V in the System settings of the VM? If not, is it enabled in your BIOS? If your BIOS doesn't allow you to enable it you might be able to flash with a newer one that does. I had to do that with my laptop. At the time it was made, hardware virtualisation was considered a server technology no one would want on a laptop. A few years later VMs had become popular and the manufacturer had to change their mind.

VB needs VT-x for 64-bit. Another clue is that although 32-bit machines work without it, they are very sluggish compared with the same system running on bare metal.
KJP
-----------------------------------------------------------
PClos64 2013 (KDE5) on AMD FX 8350 on GA-970A-DS3P (Rev 2.0), 24GB RAM, Asus EN210 (Nvidia) GPU, Maxtor STM325031, 3 SSDs, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor. Also Acer 5810TG.

https://www.kjpetrie.co.uk/

Offline Gonzalo_VC

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »
Thanks, kjpetrie.
If I understood correct, I should see something related to that in my BIOS setup.
Inside VirtualBox I was never asked for anything resembling that.

I confess I had not tried much to create 64 bits VMs cause I used 32 bits PCLinuxOS and other distros until this year, when I started to move my machines to the 64 bits era. But, so far, in the machines I tried to make 64 bits VMs, I could (3), even in a dell laptop with Ubuntu 64 (dual booting with that cr@py other OS you might know  ;) ).
I'll tell you if I did manage this.
Cheers!

EDIT: I did it!  \o/  I found something like "Enable Intel Virtualization" to turn on in the BIOS setup, and now VBx offers to make 64 bits VMs  ;-)  THANKS, again!
Don't be a pirate, nor a slave. Use GNU/Linux!
GNU/Linux user 451206
PCLinuxOS, GALPon MiniNo, antiX

Offline AnalogueMan

• Analogue man in a digital world
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
Facing the same problem Gonzalo_VC had and trying to use the advice kjpetrie gave to him,
I cannot solve this problem on my computer with the O.S. KDE64 bit installed.
I have the FullMonty64 bit O.S. installed on my main computer which does not have this problem and although I did a close examination of the
differences between both UEFI's, I could not detect one.
The "what's in the box?" on my KDE64 is:

System:    Host: localhost Kernel: 4.1.10-pclos1 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
           Desktop: N/A Distro: PCLinuxOS
Machine:   System: ASUS product: All Series
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-PLUS v: Rev X.0x serial: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2109 date: XXXXXXXX
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4160 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 14391
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 2804 MHz 2: 3600 MHz 3: 3600 MHz
           4: 3601 MHz

The "what's in the box?" on my FM64 is:

System:    Host: localhost Kernel: 4.1.20-pclos1 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
           Desktop: KDE 4.14.18 (Qt 4.8.7) info: plasma-desktop dm: kdm Distro: PCLinuxOS
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-PLUS v: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends v: 0807 date: YYYYYYYY
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4150 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 13992
           clock speeds: min/max: 800/3500 MHz 1: 2129 MHz 2: 3483 MHz 3: 3498 MHz 4: 2460 MHz

Is there anything a have to look for in the KDE64 to modify?

Offline kjpetrie

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Cogito ergo qui est?
    • K J Petrie
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
What does lscpu show?

And what is the point of munging the dates of your BIOS when you want people to help you?
KJP
PClos64 2013 (KDE5) on AMD FX 8350 on GA-970A-DS3P (Rev 2.0), 24GB RAM, Asus EN210 (Nvidia) GPU, Maxtor STM325031, 3 SSDs, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor. Also Acer 5810TG.

Offline Gonzalo_VC

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »
Facing the same problem Gonzalo_VC had and trying to use the advice kjpetrie gave to him,
I cannot solve this problem on my computer with the O.S. KDE64 bit installed....

I.M.O. you have to look carefully in the BIOS information. The issue is pre-OS, i.e. something the hardware might not be allowing, like in my case: CPU not allowed to virtualize (don't ask me specifics for I do not know the answer). After the OS boots (PCLinuxOS), there is no way to change that. I have learned VBox detects what the hardware allows, then offers either only 32 bits VMs or both 64 and 32 VMs.
Each BIOS is different, I can't say what the thing to be changed looks like, but I suspects have some of these keywords: virtualization, virtual machine, etc.
Good luck!
Don't be a pirate, nor a slave. Use GNU/Linux!
GNU/Linux user 451206
PCLinuxOS, GALPon MiniNo, antiX

Offline AnalogueMan

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 04:08:47 AM »
What does lscpu show?

And what is the point of munging the dates of your BIOS when you want people to help you?

Sorry kjpetrie, I thought hackers could use this info in some malicious way. Obviously a stupid assumption  :-[.

Here again the data:

FM64:
System:    Host: localhost Kernel: 4.1.20-pclos1 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.2)
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-PLUS v: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends v: 0807 date: 05/15/2014                                 
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4150 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB                                                                       
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 13992                                                             
           clock speeds: min/max: 800/3500 MHz 1: 3500 MHz 2: 3500 MHz 3: 3500 MHz 4: 3500 MHz

lscpu:
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    2
Socket(s):             1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 60
Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Stepping:              3
CPU MHz:               3500.410
CPU max MHz:           3500.0000
CPU min MHz:           800.0000
BogoMIPS:              6996.13
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              3072K
Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm arat epb pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt

KDE64:
System:    Host: localhost Kernel: 4.1.10-pclos1 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.2)                                                                                                                   
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-PLUS v: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends v: 2109 date: 03/26/2015                                                                                     
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-4160 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB                                                                                                                             
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 14392                                                                                                                 
           clock speeds: min/max: 800/3600 MHz 1: 3600 MHz 2: 3600 MHz 3: 3605 MHz 4: 3600 MHz

lscpu:
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    2
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 60
Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Stepping:              3
CPU MHz:               3600.000
CPU max MHz:           3600.0000
CPU min MHz:           800.0000
BogoMIPS:              7196.47
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              3072K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Flags:                 fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts
acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good
nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16
xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm arat epb pln
pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt

Offline kjpetrie

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Cogito ergo qui est?
    • K J Petrie
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
The only hardware information that might be useful to a hacker would be the MAC code of your NIC. I suppose the BIOS version could just help them identify a buggy BIOS if it were vulnerable to some exploit, but I don't think there are many known exploits in BIOSes, if any.

However, the only difference between the two machines is the BIOS version. I don't know whether that is just a difference in BIOS or whether there is an underlying difference in chipset, as I suspect revision X.0x is also a placeholder for the real value. I would think a BIOS dating from 2014 should enable VT-x or be configurable to do so. Does VB's VM set-up offer you a VT-x box to tick or is it greyed out?
KJP

Offline AnalogueMan

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »
The only hardware information that might be useful to a hacker would be the MAC code of your NIC. I suppose the BIOS version could just help them identify a buggy BIOS if it were vulnerable to some exploit, but I don't think there are many known exploits in BIOSes, if any.

However, the only difference between the two machines is the BIOS version. I don't know whether that is just a difference in BIOS or whether there is an underlying difference in chipset, as I suspect revision X.0x is also a placeholder for the real value. I would think a BIOS dating from 2014 should enable VT-x or be configurable to do so. Does VB's VM set-up offer you a VT-x box to tick or is it greyed out?

When I start Oracle VM in KDE, and try to get a Windows 7 set up in there. And select the "System" part on the left pane, I cannot choose the "Acceleration" tab which is displayed in the right pane when I click on it. This is indeed possible in my FM computer with the Oracle VM and there "Enable VT-x/AMD-V"  is ticked.
But I think this originates that there is no possibility to choose a 64 bit version of whatever O.S. you want to set up in
the KDE version installed on my other computer.
Or do I have to look on a different place? Do you mean something else with "Does VB's VM set-up..." ?

Offline AnalogueMan

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »
I cannot solve this problem on my computer with the O.S. KDE64 bit installed....

I.M.O. you have to look carefully in the BIOS information. The issue is pre-OS, i.e. something the hardware might not be allowing, like in my case: CPU not allowed to virtualize (don't ask me specifics for I do not know the answer). After the OS boots (PCLinuxOS), there is no way to change that. I have learned VBox detects what the hardware allows, then offers either only 32 bits VMs or both 64 and 32 VMs.
Each BIOS is different, I can't say what the thing to be changed looks like, but I suspects have some of these keywords: virtualization, virtual machine, etc.
Good luck!

Gonzalo_VC, that quote which I highlighted in red, did put me on track!
After again  examining my BIOS and again had a close look in its CPU part, I suddenly discovered that scroll bar on the right side of the monitor. Scolling down I discovered :"Intel Virtualization Technology ---- Disabled" !
Changing it into "Enabled" and restarting my KDE computer, I noticed that I was now able to install 64 bit versions
on my Oracle VM  :) !
Then, to my embarrassing  :-[ , I remembered that in the past, I once also had this problem not noticing that little scroll bar on the right side of a window (was when I wanted to install a newer kernel version and Old-Polack tried to help me then....)
Again I have to admit that I am starting to get too old for these things :( .
But my problem is solved and I have learned a lot.
Thanks guys for your patience and help.

P.S.
It was in fact kjpetrie who mentioned:
"Are you offered VT-x/AMD-V in the System settings of the VM? If not, is it enabled in your BIOS?"
Sorry kjpetrie. 

Offline PCNewbieForever

• New Friend
  • Eureka! It's PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 09:48:22 AM »
I'm running PCLinuxOS 2019.12 Mate.  Is "Other Linux (64-bit)" still the one we choose in VirtualBox?

Offline Old-Polack

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • ----IOFLU----
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
I'm running PCLinuxOS 2019.12 Mate.  Is "Other Linux (64-bit)" still the one we choose in VirtualBox?

Yes.  :D
Old-Polack

Of what use be there for joy, if not for the sharing thereof?

Lest we forget...

Online present_arms

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • TrinityDE Big Daddy and Openbox Remasterer
    • Trinity PCLinuxOS Remaster
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
You can choose either "other linux 64 bit" or "Mandriva 64bit" both work well :)

Offline PCNewbieForever

• New Friend
  • Eureka! It's PCLinuxOS!
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
@Old-Polack , @present_arms ,  Thank you for your timely replies.  :) 

Here is the backstory behind my question.  I'm posting it for anyone who happens to be interested. 

When I decided to try PCLinuxOS in Virtualbox.  I did a google search for this information but for some reason I didn't get the results I needed.  I Watched some tutorial videos on youtube.  But they didn't answer my question either.  I checked your official website and didn't find it there.  Before becoming a member I tried doing some searches in your forum but I didn't find it.  After re installing the OS 5 times.  I got it working really well using "openSUSE (64-bit)".  But I'm the kind of person who wants to know for sure what the Distro officially recommends.  I finally joined these forums and that is when I found this thread! Due to how old this thread is, I decided to ask anyways.  Thank you both for your answers!  :)

Offline kjpetrie

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • Cogito ergo qui est?
    • K J Petrie
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
I'm not sure how much difference those labels really make. They might just be for users' convenience or for exceptional cases.

If you think about it, all OSes for x86_64 hardware have to run on the same bare metal machines, so there's not a fundamental difference between the hardware running Linux, BSD or Windows. Why, then, would the virtualised environment need to be different? So, although there might be some tweaks for optimisation, I wouldn't expect the OS to care that much what VB thought it was. VB selects different default setting for things like RAM size and graphics adapter, but so long as you change those to compatible ones the machine will work. To prove the point, I've just booted a pclos ISO in a "Windows 7" VM. The only thing I had to change was the selected graphics adapter. Between two flavours of Linux there's unlikely to be such a big change as that.

The labels are there to select sane default settings and so the user can remember which OS each machine uses.
KJP

Online present_arms

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • TrinityDE Big Daddy and Openbox Remasterer
    • Trinity PCLinuxOS Remaster
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »
There definitely some differences in VBOX between the Mandriva,Ubuntu, Debian etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmHWvEVk6w

My VBOX for PCLinuxOS setting up