Author Topic: Project: Migrating from Windows - A guide for new users  (Read 11061 times)

Offline Mr. Cranky Pants - YouCanToo

• PCLinuxOS Tester
    • Where Monkey Business gets done.......
Re: Project: Migrating from Windows - A guide for new users
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Thank you Parnote for making it sticky :)

I have already begun working on the first part of the article.
Some family matters are holding me back these days but I keep returning to it whenever I have spare time, even to add only a paragraph :P

The original plan was:

Downloading from Windows
(PCLinuxOS site, mirrors, torrents)
Creating liveCD or USB
(Free image burning software and liveUSB creators for Windows)
Live session
(What is a Live session, advantages and disadvantages)
Partitioning (Windows)
(Tools and tips for creating partitions and preparing installation of PCLinuxOS)
Partitioning with PCLinuxOS
(Creating partitions during setup, diskdrake, GParted, KDE Partition Manager)
Installation
(Single and dual boot scenarios)

Like I have mentioned before most of this has already been posted in the knowledge base, and could be used without recreating the wheel, so to say.

It turns out to be much more difficult than I have thought. Not only there is too much information that I must handle in such a manner so the article won't turn away users migrating from Windows, but I also have to put myself in such a user's shoes constantly.
Try it and you'll see how tough it is :P
I must pretend that I know nothing about anything and my only guide is the stuff I write...

A simple example: I have completed the part on how to download the newest PCLinuxOS iso and create a LiveCD/DVD/USB. Go there, select mirror, use torrent if you like... But what about the different editions? A user coming from Windows will most certainly be unfamiliar with terms like KDE, Xfce etc. So, there should be a small introduction to PCLinuxOS versions and how they differ. But to do that, you must introduce a new (unknown to Windows users) term: the Desktop Environment... I think you get my point :)

Why not just talk about the default desktop for the time being. The official desktop is KDE. Yes I know there are others. But this really should be kept to the Official Desktop. The same holds true for partitioning of ones hard drive. When using the LiveCD installer you would be greeted with DiskDrake. Stick with what comes standard, they can always learn about the other Desktops and partition manages at some point later. I do agree with Parnote that we need to limit the scope otherwise that new user that you are trying to help, may simply throw their hands up being over whelmed.

I have read all suggestions and comments so far. Some of them are very useful some of them are simply impossible to fit in :)
Parnote has put it nicely: "If we don't limit the scope, then you're talking about writing a book that has no end."

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, this series of articles is not intended to be the Swiss-army knife of PCLinuxOS.
Its intention is to help Windows users (who know nothing about Linux and how it works) to download, install and perform some basic operations (like update the system, install the programs they need, configure network/sound/graphics etc) to get the system up and running the way it should. Furthermore, it will discuss topics like the available Desktop Environments, the tools to configure the system (especially the unique Control Center), the alternatives to Windows programs and maybe some other stuff that need special mention (i.e. localization). For everything beyond that we have our Knowledge Base and our always helpful forum.

Try to keep your suggestions under that scope. And remember: it is impossible for a single person to cover all this stuff.
So I would like to know who is willing to help in writing :)

In memory of Dudley Do Wright - Feb 6 2009 - Oct 26 2016
ChimpBox Quad Core Prototype - AMD Fusion APU A4-5200 - Radeon HD8330 Graphics - 16GB DDR3 - KDE

Offline Mr. Cranky Pants - YouCanToo

• PCLinuxOS Tester
    • Where Monkey Business gets done.......
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »
Regarding downloading & "burning" the live iso images:
Did you mention verifying the md5 checksum of the downloaded file against that posted on the download page?
A couple of tools for doing so are mentioned in this post.

Would it be a good idea to recommend that the CD or DVD be "burned" at the lowest possible speed?

If you already have this covered, please ignore this post ... it will be removed "post - haste"  :)

- Darryl

The link you referenced to would work just fine if they were already using Linux and looking to verify the MD5 checksum. But seeing they are most likely still running Winhose they most likely need something to check the MD5 that runs in the Winhose environment. Here are two checksum programs for windows
ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/  and Active-ISO Burner http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm  Both of these are free software.

In memory of Dudley Do Wright - Feb 6 2009 - Oct 26 2016
ChimpBox Quad Core Prototype - AMD Fusion APU A4-5200 - Radeon HD8330 Graphics - 16GB DDR3 - KDE

Offline agmg

• Certified Windows Hater
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 03:30:15 AM »
Current work on this guide has been moved to Google Docs.

Users who are already members of the magazine group in Google Groups will find the link in my post.
Please feel free to review, comment and contribute :)

Anyone else who would like to participate can join the magazine's mailing list here:

http://groups.google.com/group/pclinuxos-magazine
Toshiba Satellite L505-12Q
Intel Core2Duo T6600 2.2Ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 1GB
4GB DDR3
OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SATAII