This is one I've figured out a workaround for, but would like to solve eventually. Meanwhile, the workaround is a handy trick.
I recently received some archived files from friends in Japan that, after extraction, were named with what has to be Japanese characters (they are showing up as white question marks in black diamonds in the file names in Dolphin, and as regular question marks in Konsole when I do an ls command.
Dolphin can't do anything with these files (open, copy, move, rename, nor delete). Konsole is really lost, I presume because a ? is a wild card character when working at the shell prompt.
Enter Midnight Commander. I started Midnight Commander from a root shell by issuing the command mc and used it to rename the strange files to something more manageable. I'm not sure why Midnight Commander was able to do this, but it did. I'm glad it's in my toolkit.
I had, prior to this, attempted to install a Japanese locale and got a message during one of the last steps about some missing files. I may attempt it again and post more detail later, but being able to use a Japanese locale is not extremely high priority just now (I need to learn to read Japanese with some facility first - I grew up speaking the language but never learned to read it worth beans).
Well, that's all the news fit to print for now. If I re-do the addlocale thing, I'll edit this to include the details. Meanwhile, I got some shopping to do today (new shoes for work), so I'll talk at you all...