Well now ........ the delays have reappeared ........ somwhere between 10 and 20 seconds before a new page will begin to load ...... and ofentimes it halts during loading for some 10 secs.
I checked, and the IPv6 module is loaded again ..... despite the fact that the edits to the /etc/modprobe.conf file are still intact.
This delay, now that I checked, is also affecting Firefox, but not Iron which is what I most often use.
I disabled IPv6 in FF, and now will go for a reboot to see if that ensures the module does not get loaded, in which case Konqueror should also have speeded up.
..... be back shortly ......