I have very limited knowledge of XFCE, and can answer only about few things:
1. The Window Manager shows the double click action to Maximize window. I guess that would be on the title bar? But when I double click, nothing happens. How to make double click maximize the window?
I am also having difficulty with the arrows in corner to expand or enlargen the screen. Maybe just shaky hands, but I had no trouble in KDE. Just wondering if there is any adjustment feature to that?
About double click: don't know
may be you you need to setup the mouse and lower the Acceleration: Phoenix menu --> Xfce settings manager -> Mouse
2. I like the screenshot taker in the panel. It takes the entire screen. I don't see a feature to take a selected portion of a screen. Is there one? If not what can I install to do this?
Right click on the icon, choose "properties", and then you can set the desired behavior
3. Is there a way to get a split screen option? I love that feature.
no that I can see, a real expert is needed here
4. Using Thunar. When Deleting files they go to the TRASH. Is the only way to permanently delete thing is to go through the TRASH?
Same as in KDE, you can permanently delete a file by pressing the key SHIFT while choosing delete using mouse.
Thunar will ask a confirmation in this case, before to delete the file.
5. I know there must be a way to put the bar that is at the top....at the bottom.
Yes, you need to open Phoenix-menu --> XFce4-Setting manager --> Panel (mouse icon)
the untick "Lock Panel", you to do this for Panel1 and for Panel2
once panel are unlocked, you may notice a little handle on the left of the panel, click on that handle and drag the panel to screen bottom:
when done lock the Panels 1 & 2.
Yes, I understand I am not using KDe. I just want to be sure I can do what I want to do. And Yes, I am not too old to learn or adapt to new things.
Most of the settings are in xfce4 settings manager, but please ask when needed