Basically, after installing 'aptupgrade' and running it from the menu as invited, it says it has finished and to reboot. People think that the upgrade of Synaptic and other files has been done but it hasn't, and unless they dig into /usr/bin or /usr/sbin they'll still have an un-optimised system.
On 2 different installations, 1 Gnome and 1 Zen, aptupgrade from the Main repo was installed. Using the menu item for it, it went through its dialog and said it had done its work and to reboot.
On reboot I noticed no difference to the small icon for Synaptic and the 'about' still showed just version 57-2.
I looked at the /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and saw that Synaptic and also the reference to Consolehelper were still older dated. I looked at the rpm binaries and they all seemed older too.
I got hold of aptupgrade again and looking in /opt/aptupgrade and looking at the actual file 'aptupgrade' which is run from that menu item, it's just a script and shows that it's executing the various rpms in /opt/aptupgrade.
So, in a terminal window as root I ran /usr/bin/aptupgrade.
I saw that there was a bunch of dependency errors but nevertheless aptupgrade said it had done its job and to reboot.
When aptupgrade is run and finishes the directory and files in /opt/aptupgrade are deleted. If I re-install aptupgrade and run it again it tells me that it has already been run. This means I have to restore from a backup.
Next, I ran each rpm in turn and saw which was giving dependency errors and noted some names. I ran Synaptic normally and installed those packages that seemed to be missing.
On re-running aptupgrade from the terminal it went through alright, still with the "gvfs permission errors" which can be ingored, but after a reboot it had indeed replaced the various files it should have.
I humbly suggest that either a readme is added to the install saying that certain packages are needed to ensure that it will complete properly, or additions to the script are made to give a dialog saying that it can't complete because of missing packages/dependencies. Otherwise it's saying it has done its job but it hasn't in fact.
On the 2 installs I had made particular updates only and the extra packages I needed were these:
Using a 'rpm -qp --requires' on the rpms in /opt/aptupgrade gives this list
apt >= 0.5.15lorg3.95
apt-common >= 0.5.15lorg3.95
libapt-pkg0 >= 0.5.15lorg3.95
librpm1 >= 4.8.1
librpm1 = 4.8.1-4pclos2011
perl-base >= 5.10.1
python-base >= 2.6
rpm >= 4.8.1
rpm = 4.8.1-4pclos2011
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1
rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1
rpm-pclinuxos-setup = 1.134-2pclos2011
rpm-pclinuxos-setup-build >= 1.34