PCLinuxOS LXDE 2011.06 for 32 and 64 bits computers is now available for download. A 64 bit only release will be available in the coming weeks. PCLinuxOS LXDE 2011.06 features the following updates.
- The kernel was updated to version 22.214.171.124. Additional kernels are available from our repositories such as a PAE kernel for computers with more than 4 gigs of memory. A BFS kernel for maximum desktop performance and a standard kernel with group scheduling enabled.Xorg
- Xorg server was updated to version 1.10.2. Mesa updated to 7.10.3 and libdrm to version 2.4.26. This update brings enhancements to the PCLinuxOS desktop including speed, 3D desktop support for most Intel, Nvidia and AMD/ATi video cards, better font rendering, black screen fixes for most Nvidia cards, better Flash playback and more. The most recent versions of Nvidia and AMD/ATi video drivers are included on the LiveCD and automatically configured for you. The bad news is users with older legacy video cards included in most dated computers may not function properly due to many deprecated xorg video drivers.Toolchain
- Gcc software compiler was updated to version 4.5.2 and glibc updated to 2.10.1. Locales were updated to version 2.12.1.Package Manager
- RPM was updated to version 4.8.1. apt-get and the Synaptic Package Manager were also updated to work with the updated rpm packages. yum and yumex will be available in the coming weeks as an alternative package manager.Theme Update
- The 2011 release received a full makeover. PCLinuxOS features a new brush metal theme including updates to grub, plymouth, gdm and application splash screens. Additional themes are available as well as our previous theme from our software repository.Remastering Tools
- mylivecd was updated to work with the latest release. mylivecd added the ability to install PCLinuxOS from the boot menu without having to go to the desktop first. There are 3 compression schemes available now for remastering your installation. xz maximum compression, xz normal compression and gzip for fast compression. xz max takes longer to generate the LiveCD but produces the most compressed image where as gzip will create a LiveCD fairly quick but the compressed image will be larger. mylivecd can also generate a LiveDVD with up to 4 gigs of compressed data. Usually a 10-12 gig installation will compress into a 4 gig DVD.Software
- PCLinuxOS 2011 LiveCD come with the latest versions of most popular programs such as Firefox 5.0. OpenOffice Manager has been replaced with LibreOffice Manager. Due to the limited size of the LiveCD the office suite is not included but can be installed through the LibreOffice Manager after hard drive installation. Addlocale has updated translations and can convert a PCLinuxOS installation into over 70 different languages. The software included on the LiveCD was based on community feedback as to what the PCLinuxOS users wanted to be included by default.CD/DVD burning
- Brasero is installed as the default burner software, rather than grafburn.
PCLinuxOS LXDE-Mini 2011.06 ISO is available through the following torrent link from our wonderful friends at ibiblio.org.http://torrent.ibiblio.org/doc/pclinuxos-live-cd-2011-6-release/201/torrents
edit: Torrents of full and mini available at:http://linuxtracker.org/
PCLinuxOS LXDE-Mini and PCLinuxOS LXDE are available on the following mirrors:http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/pclinuxos/live-cd/http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/pclinuxos/live-cd/http://ftp.vim.org/ibiblio/distributions/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributions/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/pclinuxos/live-cd/http://pclosusers.com/isos/
*Please note existing PCLinuxOS users who have been keeping up with their Synaptic Package Manager updates do not need to download and install this release as you are already updated.