I am real sorry, working too fast to get it over and done with. The situation has changed but not improved. I believe I have two problems at least.
1.. My minime2010, that suddenly came up with "read only or cannot open" files, the one old-polack suggested doing the fsck upon. Here all I did was removing about 4 text files from the systems desktop holding records of what I am doing and all the install steps of customisation so I can recreate from beginning if needed (hope not)
Then ran the fsck, but this made no difference.
2.. Carried out the silly rsync -a, later corrected to rsync -av and the corrected parameters. To my surprise this actually ran, it was a bit of an experiment. After two re-starts it failed. (Far out of sync timewise I think)
3.. I have reformatted the partition from root konsole: mke2fs -t -L minime2010 /sda2
4.. I have a newly downloaded minime2010.12 from Japan, normal repo was not available. I always download with Opera as I understand this does md5sum check in the background. Burned the ISO with k3B.
5.. Booted the CD no problem, works fine. Have used it to go on line and do many various things and then deciding to install to hard disk for a test (on /sda2 just prepared)
6.. On the 3rd try trying to figure out why it does not install properly I ran media check in desperation as well (of course ok) (I have also run md5sum check from konsole on the CD a few minutes ago, agrees too)
7.. The install to HD from LiveCD appears to go fine.
Installing PC LinuxOS to your computer
nice big pictorial
I am sure you know what I mean. This picture just vanishes after about 3-5 delay, I think the screen said Please Wait. I was expecting a few more windows to write the stanza, but they never showed. (Used already installed stanzas from previous minime, now suddenly not so sure about doing that)
The partition seems to hold a perfectly proper / system,
8.. I have even returned to much older MiniMe LiveCD, same result
Above worries me, I don't see this can have any bearing on the second part, the testing that minime was used to perform.
9.. I took up Just19 on his offer to test LiveHDD, his script and the ISO I used I placed on the Minime Desktop and ran the procedure from root konsole. Worked like a dream apart from minor adjustments as I see it. I have a partition set aside to receive output from script, /dev/sdb17 (LABEL=Just19) this is formatted ext3 (of course I tried to use ext4, as I have spare preformatted Linux partitions for testing work, an oversight despite strong warning from script, sorry Just19
, hope you had a laugh)
Conclusion: I now believe I have two separate problems in the beginning I gave it 50/50 but not after I re-formatted the minime partition I can not see the LiveHDD testing has anything to do with not being able to install a new minime.
Right now I find it very very hard to understand why I can not install from a LiveCD, I will concentrate on getting that solved. Actually trying to find that great thread wher old-polack gave a pictorial install to make 200% sure I am doing it right.