A couple of quick questions re: Full-Monty. I'm a relative noob at Linux, though I've had some experience with Ubuntu, Bodhi, and Peppermint distros. (Read: I'm very eager to learn my way around the command line, but don't have a lot of knowledge yet.)
1) I've installed FM on my desktop (dual-boot with Windows 7) since it plays nice with my graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx-465) and my wireless card. My monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080. Unfortunately, rebooting always returns my resolution to 1064x768, no matter how many times I attempt to save the higher resolution as the default. I've tried the solution posted here, but with no success: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,106670.msg911059.html#msg911059
2) Related to the above, but specific to FM, is a problem I'm having when I do change the resolution. Running fm_setwidgets remaps the FM desktop to the new resolution on desktops 2-6, but desktop 1 (Internet) disappears and defaults to a simple black wallpaper with none of the FM desktop 1 containers. This seems to be the case no matter how many times I have tried fm_setwidgets. Re-downloading and installing the FM desktop package (just the 'lite' version) doesn't change anything. Switching from the FM desktop to the default KDE and then back (with fm_switcher) doesn't change anything. Creating a new account (after the previous step) brings back desktop 1, but after changing the resolution to 1920x1080 and running fm_setwidgets to remap to the new resolution, desktop 1 simply turns black again. I've quoted the text of what sounds like a similar problem below, but still haven't been able to resolve the issue.
Any other suggestions for how I can retain 1920x1080 as my permanent monitor resolution and return my desktop 1 to the FM default (with all the associated wallpaper, containers, icons, etc...)?
If any other specs from my computer are needed, please don't hesitate to ask for them--I'm just unsure at this point what other information would help.
Thank you pinoc for your instructions. I now have the Battery Monitor in my panel, but somehow I managed to lose my Desktop 1, Internet. All of the other desktops appear fine, but desktop one is no longer Internet, just a normal looking desktop with a different background. Could you kindly tell me how I can recover my proper Desktop 1, Internet?
yep, again, fm_setwidgets is the tool to use, as explained here and in the fullmonty_readme.txt in your $HOME folder:
3) fm_setwidgets: this tool has two purposes:
a) it permits to define one of the 6 FM-virtual desktops to be shown upon login to your user account.
b) it will detect the current screen-resolution and offer a set of pre-configured plasma config-files for 12 typical screen-resolutions. Run this tool if you
- changed your screen-resolution and need to remap the FM desktop layout to the new screen resolution, or
- messed up your FM desktop layout (<=> plasma config-file) and then want to restore a pre-defined FM-desktop.
- have a different screen-resolution or want to personalize your current desktop layout: scroll down and unlock your current layout so you can modify it to your liking.
hope this helps, good luck!