So I am back to no sound. I get normal sound from one user and not on my wife's user. I don't understand why when you fix something in Linux it doesn't stay that way.
I also get this message :
Removed Sound Devices
"KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?
This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
Output: Dell Sound Blaster Live! (EMU10K1X Front)"
I have not checked "YES" because it says "permanently". I have been checking NO.
I elected to check "YES" this time through. I don't know what all it does but this time when I went through the routine of "Kill"ing the sound applications and reloading "alsaconf" in the terminal I have ended up having sound now.
I will not mark it solved just yet since I don't expect it to last. I am wondering if the use of Skype has contributed to this problem since we got a Webcam for Christmas and the sound issues seemed to start shortly thereafter.
Anyway thanks for the offers of help. That is the only thing that keeps me moving ahead (more like 1 step forward and 2 steps backward sometimes)