After a recent upgrade to my 2010.1 installation on my laptop I lost access to my remote printers and PCC/printerdrake came up with errors. (There have been a number of posts on this and it seems to be unresolved.)
So I decided to do a fresh install from the 2010.7 iso:
I installed from the LiveCD and did a full update from Synaptic> After a bit of fiddling I got my WiFi up and tried to install the remote printers. The same problem - printerdrake borked.
So, I repeated it step by step:
1. Boot from LiveCD
2. Configure Network>Wireless (Wi-Fi)>
accepted all defaults and the network came up.
3. PCC>Hardware>Set up printers>configure printers on a network
accepted all defaults and printers were found and installed.
Great, so continue:
4. Install to hard disk
5. Check operation before updating: Network is up and printers are already installed - Great.
6. Update from Synaptic - Wi-Fi connection is lost
8. Configure network>Wireless(Wi-Fi)>
An error comes up to indicate that the firmware files /lib/firmware/b43/ucode*.fw cannot be found.
A quick check shows them to be there where they should be.
Point to them manually and the network installation proceeds and network is up.
9. Check printers and they are already there.
So, the conclusion is that something in the updates borkes the Broadcom Wi-Fi set up and, if the remote printers are not already installed, borkes printerdrake.
Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.