Installation of a KDE4 iso on a very old machines:
1) Boot up iso to the point where it asks You for a keyboard type. Choose Your Keyboard and press Next
2) Wait for 5 - 10 seconds and press and hold [ALT] + [CTRL] + [BACKSPACE]
for a few seconds. This will crash X server and reload it but this time You should be met by KDM
. Click on the SESSIONS
button and pick FAILSAFE
. Now log in by clicking on guest account in the left pane and typing in guest password which is guest
... Click Login
3) Move Your mouse over the console window in the bottom left hand corner. Now You will be able to type in it. Type in draklive-install
and press [ENTER]
4) You will be asked to provide a root password. Please move your mouse over the pop-up window and type in root
. Then press OK
5) From this point - continue installation as You normally would.
6) When installation is finished please type in reboot
in the console window and press [ENTER]
. When asked - remove LiveCD and press [ENTER]
7) Create root's password and local user credentials. When in KDM
from sessions as before. Log in as user that You have just created. Here You can use synaptic
command to open package manager and upgrade Your system / install task-lxde package
. You can also use pcc
command to setup some system options. Command systemsettings
may also be useful.Once You install other DE You may reboot and choose it from Sessions in KDM. You can log in to it this way. You can enjoy KDE4 iso with LXDE on top of it. Light and yet with all the KDE toys...
Hope this helps somebody someday.
AndyP.S. Turning off the mysqld service will save You a good 50+ MB of memory.
BTW. This method can be used with ISOs other then KDE4.