This is a compiled list of workarounds to various common problems that have came with the KDE 4.5 update:Normal desktop (folder view) not accessible upon update to KDE 4.5
A common problems on desktops which were heavily tweaked prior to update. One of the simplest solutions to this is as follows:
Enabling KDE Compositing crashes plasma-desktop
- Rightclick on desktop, Select 'Activities'
- Disable and delete activities until you get your desktop back
- Once you have found the correct activity, it is safe to delete the remaining ones.
This is due to the fact that the KDE 'blur' plugin does not properly support Intel chipsets. Disabling this may resolve the issue:
Missing 'subfolder preview' on Desktop
- Click on 'Configure your Desktop' (alternatively, you can run the command 'systemsettings')
- Go to 'Workspace Appearance and Behavior' -> Desktop Effects -> All Effects (tab)
- Uncheck 'Blur'
- Enable or start compositing
Subfolder preview is no longer automatic, it must now be invoked by hovering your mouse onto the icon and then clicking the small icon right underneath the plus sign.
On many themes, this icon will not be present; but the functionality will still be there. Simply click a few pixels below the 'plus' symbol and folder preview will work.This post has a geekier way to re-enable the 'folder preview' arrows on plasma themes that do not yet display themImage previews do not work on Desktop
This can be resolved with the following method:
- Right click on desktop, and click on 'Folder View Settings'
- Navigate to the 'Location' menu, and select 'Specify a Folder'
- Have the specified folder point to /home/<YOURUSERNAME>/Desktop
- If your shortcuts lose their individual icons, then also navigate to 'Display' -> Previews -> More Previews. Uncheck 'Text files'