imo there is no need to fix getopenoffice because I don't even know what should be fixed?? As pointed out several times there is no need, and no point, to fiddle with the Synaptic repo settings because OO is in a completely different repo/section which is automatically configured by getopenoffice during the install/update process. During the setup getopenoffice will also check for the availability of the freebsd repo, and if that is not available, then revert to the ibiblio repo. From your OP it is clear that the freebsd-repo was available and it was working fine as well. The next messages indicate that you had a borked OO-install at that point, for whatever reason I don't know.
too late.... worked around this WHOLE situation by using the repo in getopenoffice in synaptic after I reinstalled kdelibs4 as suggested and that did not work.
Everything updated correctly.
Because of the error messages I was receiving that seemed to indicate that the freebsd repo had an issue, I used the ibiblio one. I made a separate repo [through synaptic as you seem to use that and I didn't want to mess anything up] that has the openoffice information. When I finished, I unselected the new openoffice repo. I checked my system and I now have 3.2.1 present and working.
sorry, but I don't understand what you did there but if OO works now then it is ok. I assume you configured the OO-section on the ibiblio-server yourself in Synaptic and then installed task-openoffice-en_US. That is exactly the same what is done by getopenoffice.
The oddest part is that the getopenoffice script you created has plenty of debug error messages that didn't seem to be appearing [see above posts]. The script was breaking on my system somewhere and, in my opinion, it should have pointed out where immediately given the script contents. To me that is strange.
The debug message are only needed if something goes wrong, and in this case they clearly indicate that your old OO-install was borked, and that crashed the script.
I do know that, after I performed the synaptic update, I reran getopenoffice. This time I got the correct message about "you already have openoffice for this locale installed..." of course I exited the script at that point.
yes, getopenoffice correctly detected that you have an uptodate OO-install for the OO-localization chosen by the user. It therefore tells you to exit the script as there is no need to do anything else.
In summary: getopenoffice is just a utility to facilitate the install/update/removal or add a localization to OO. You can do all of that yourself if you provide the correct info into Synaptic. Getopenoffice does nothing else but that plus (in contrast to Synaptic) it properly removes OO if needed. In your case it seems that OO was borked for whatever reason. I can not recode getopenoffice to check for all kind of reasons why OO might be borked. The script works fine in 'normal' conditions, and even in your situation my suggestions to first completely remove and then install from scratch should have worked but were not tested.
anyway, good to hear it works for you now.