1. Want to backup my sda9 2010 ext3 to sdb9 ext4
2. Boot to sdb8 new install 2010.1 ext4
3. As root cd /mnt
md sda9 sdb9
mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/sda9
mount /dev/sdb9 /mnt/sdb9
rsync -av /mnt/sda9/ /mnt/sdb9
4. When complete still as root
Mainly interested in (hd0,0) - my main boot install
(hd1,8) - my new ext4 bkup
5. Change sdb9 menu.lst (it points to sda9 - need to point to sdb9)
6. Change sda1 menu.lst - add:
title My Experiment
7. Reboot to sdb9 - ***Kernel Panic***
This is the part where you need a different initrd (the one copied from the ext3 partition doesn't have the needed ext4 module.
I copied the initrd from another fresh installed 2010 ext4 (maybe old_polack can explain how to modify the old initrd)
8. Change the sdb9 fstab - I rebooted into the wrong partition 3X before I got that straight!
9. Boot to sdb9 - SUCCESS also got my red-eyed bull !!!
I guess getting step #4 done properly/or not getting it properly the first time (maybe first 4 times) was my main original problem.
It has been interesting
Like it says below ***Never too old to learn***