I guess I'm bit late here..
anyways i'll try to answer few..
1) My updates from synaptic don't seem to work properly, when I boot up I see a lot mesages saying either "not installed - newer version exists on kernal" or "instalation failed - skipping". PCLinuxOS 2010 pops up too, but this hapened before the beta was even released! Clicking repair does nothing either.
After going through this post I undersatnd you dont have a Internet Connection, which method did you use to update trough Synaptic
2) I tried to install KDE 4, display is the same and there seems to be no option to set it to KDE 4 that I can find.
If you install KDE4 by default it boots into KDE4, If not during logon click on session select KDE, also got to your home folder "cd ~" without quotes and try "ls -a". If .kde4 folder is not listed then you dont have kde4
3) WINE I have no clue how to set this up. All I want to do is get it to recognise my external DVD multi drive so I can install and play Diablo II - Lord Of Destruction.
In Konsole window type "winecfg", this will open the winec configuration window, go to drives here you will see your external drives listed if not add. Note: here the devices mount points are mapped windows like drives for eg in my case CDROM is mapped to D: like thie "D: /mnt/cdrom"
4) Realtime Kernal for low latancey so I can use my EEE pc as a drum machine. Is there one -- Sorry no clue about this
5) Latest problem, I can nolonger write to my external HDD. I don't even get a very descriptive error mesage it just says "Could not make folder /mnt/windows/Musik/New Folder." this happens when I try to make new folders and whenever I try to copy files from the SDD to the external HDD. (the error mesages chage depending on what I name the folder or files) -- might be something related to mount, try to mount manually, try to copy as root
6) how do I input germanic characters such as the dupple S and umlorts etc? I listen to alot of german alternative music, and I'd like to be able to name and tag the songs correctly. -- Sorry no clue about this
7) ASUS EEE PC blue function keys, how do I get them to work? Shutdown and restart also don't work propperly.
As far as I know these specail keys are desiged to do specific operation only in the OS which came with PC, for different OS you might need to tweak settings to assign an operation to these special keys.
These steps might be usefull... At the saem time try to play with PCLOS beta2, that one is smooth as silk...