After having tried a wealth of distros in the last month or so, I have to say that the PCLOS KDE4 implementation really kicks butt! So usable compared to the competition (at least from my perspective - I am not to much into eye candy, but would rather get working without problems). Kudos - much and many - to PCLOS's dev team... even after KDE4, no question this is my preferred disto!
I do have some minor issues, so if there are simple, quick solutions to these, I shall be set to go and move my main installation to KDE4. (For those that do not have quick remedies, if any, I shall open separate threads.)
1. [SOLVED] Terminal - The background under the text become transparent (the rest of the window not). Clearly not a fancy desktop effect, as sometimes the edge is not straight, or it even flickers a bit when typing. It really have the feel of a bug...
2. Amarok - how does one create a new link (in this case, a shoutcast stream) in the list on the left (as opposed to in the playlist)?
3. [SOLVED] Menu to Desktop - when right-clicking an app in the menu and 'Add to desktop', sometime - maybe some 1 out of 5 times - the app entry in the menu actually disappears from the menu.
4. Icons - I think I understand the two types of desktop icons available (i.e. plasma or window), and I can 'align to grid' those of the window (links in /home/<user>/Desktop), but those for plasma (widgets?) does not auto-align (they even move around a pixel or two over time). Can these latter not be aligned to a grid?
5. [SOLVED] krandr - does not seem to exist under KDE4 (yet?), and xrandr messes up the screen completely. (I used it for switching between single and dual monitor under KDE3.5). What does the desktop CC app actually use under the hood to switch between metamodes? (Nvidia)
5a. [SOLVED...-ish... but good enough] Desktop CC, Display - It used to have an option of forcing setting on KDE start, but not any more. The setting used in there is only applied when I click on this area (i.e. when going in to see the settings, not actually clicking on apply).
Ex: I boot up with twinview desktop spread over two monitors (3840x1200), but in the Desktop CC Display is set to one monitor only (1920x1200). This is retained, but ignored, until such time as I click on the Display -> Size & Orientation area (again, just viewing, not applying or OK'ing). This must be a bug, yes?
6. [SOLVED] Panel and spacers - The spacer bars that can be inserted, I find ugly (personal taste, sorry). Is there a way to insert proper spaces (i.e. complete blanks) between icons/widgets/links/whatever in the panel bar?
7. [SOLVED] Notification and Jobs - Honestly? Not my cup of tea at all! I especially dislike the way that file copy jobs pop up or even just hide down there, and would like the good, old modal windows back. Can something be done - even removed? Or maybe someone can convince me that I am wrong and this is actually a good thing I just haven't learn to appreciate yet...
8. [SOLVED] kwrite - Can one no longer turn off auto-backups?
9. [SOLVED...-ish... but good enough] Icons/links as superuser - Not really a KDE4 thing, but how does one add a link/widget to desktop/plasma so as to start an app as root, e.g. Dolphin? Probably simple, but I just can get a handle on it. I have tried copying the menu link for Konquoror (superuser) but whenever I start, it just comes up as normal user. What am I doing wrong?
10. [SOLVED] Side panel? - On my right hand side of the screen, from top to bottom, runs a thin, semi-transparent panel/bar. It is empty, except for a small arrow at the top (pointing upwards). I can't seem to do anything with it, apart from pressing said arrow, which make it disappear - just to have it back on the next reboot. Have I somehow, inadvertently, created a widget, and if so, how do I get rid of it?
EDIT: I have just seen that this is actually a scrollbar of all things! It starts 'centered', if that is the right word, as there is little space above and beneath the slider. When scrolling up (either manually or by clicking the top arrow), it realises that it really isn't needed and disappear. How bad is that?! Anyone on how I can get rid of the nuisance?
Ok, enough, I am sure! All these little issues's resolution would help me immensely in making the jump from 3.5 to 4, so any ideas are welcome!
(The one that really is a must for me - and I finally got working as I would like in 3.5 - is 5 and 5a, but I have a feeling this issue is going to need its own thread...)
Much obliged to anyone taking the time...