OK, seems nothing in fstab is interfering.
This seems to be the crux of the matter
The drive now sees the cd as an audio cd, gives me choices to play with KsCD or Amarok, but neither one of them will play it.
From what I can determine here, KDE4 seems to allocate one of the drives for such things as playing audio CDs, and the applications use that default.
If you wish to play an audio CD in the other drive it appears (to me) that you have to change the default setting in the application to point to the other drive, and then it plays fine.
I am using an upgraded KDE (3 to 4), but have one internal drive and one external (USB) drive, not two internal ones.
Would you please try a CD in the problem drive, and if it does not play then attempt to change the default location the application is looking at to the location of the other drive, and then see it the CD plays.
I used VLC here for the tests ... Media - Open Disc and on the Disc Tab select Audio CD, and in the Disc Device location put the device node (/dev/???) of the other optical drive, then select Play at the bottom of the page.
Similar settings would be available for other media players also.
It sure seems like there is some problem with KDE4 and optical media.
Trying to open an inserted audio CD in a file browser gives me
Could not display "cdda://sr1/".
Error: DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.548 was not provided by any .service files
Please select another viewer and try again.
The contents of the CD will not display in Konqueror, Nautilus or Dolphin.
I can play the disc in any players I tried ....... by making the changes to the default drive the app looks at.
Previously when an optical disc was inserted hal/udev created a mount point 'on the fly' under /media for that disc.
That is no longer happening here ........ which seems to be the cause of the problem. Without that mount point I guess the browsers will have nowhere to look for its contents and any apps depending on the mount point will surely get confused.
maybe things are supposed to be done differently in KDE4 - I do not know!