Pinoc, THANK YOU !
GoustiFruit, keep courage ! We'll have our french locales in our PCLinuxOS'es ! \o/ !
well, I told you it works, cause I tested it this afternoon with Gnome and French, German, Dutch, etc. The bug was related to a package of a Gnome installation (tesseract) for which I had a typo in the addlocale-script. If future addlocale runs should crash then you will now also get a more descriptive output which may be used to better debug any future problem. And, if any Internet connection problems should be encountered, you get a nice description how to setup OpenDNS. All in all, 3.6-2 is the best addlocale so far
I was thanking you for the hard and abundant work you provide. I hadn't tried it yet. Now I did try the latest of your Addlocale packages, Addlocale 3.6-2. That worked, but it's an incomplete translation : the general menu is almost all in French, and are missing (as far as I looked) Dolphin menus, kwrite menus, Synaptic menus. Theses are still in English. As you said you sent some more translations to Texstar to upload to repositories, I suppose I should wait one or two days more and try again ? Is that so ?
What about Synaptic, didn't it use to have it's translations all right, or did I miss something ?
Thanks a lot.
there is no need to wait, all is ready to go: right now, I chose French with addlocale 3.6-2 on my fully updated KDE, and everything is in French
, the PCmenu, the application and the menus of Dolphin, Kwrite, Synaptic, ... so I have no idea how you get the problems you mentioned.
As you know, the addlocale script in our repo is only half the story: it configures the system for the new language, then downloads the language archive for the chosen localization, and extracts that into the system. The language archives are build with a customized script on my workstation. These archives contain all
translations of the entire PCLinuxOS repo and additional translations from other Linux-distributions are added as well. It takes approximately 10 hours to generate these archives, I update these archives about once a month, and then send them to Tex to upload to our servers from where they are picked up by the addlocale script. => This is all what can be done with addlocale
. Whatever you find not translated in your system or for a given application, or a part of it, you would now have to translate/update the respective mo-file.
Synaptic and its menus are in French: if you want the program descriptions in french you must translate them.
More than a month ago you setup a team to revise the french addlocale.po file. This file is already translated
, only needed to be looked through, something which takes less than 10 minutes, the update never arrived...
Now running addlcoale to change all these French menus back to English. Worked well! All back to normal...