due to a little mishap the addlocale 1.8 rpm contains addlocale version 1.7. This is fixed now, so please wait a day or two to get the updated addlocale1.8 rpm. By the way, the initial window of addlocale shows the version you use.
did you succeed to update your system without errors? Addlocale needs an uptodate and error-free system to operate. Before doing anything, addlocale will test for a clean updated system, and if it finds any errors then it will let you know about it and exit without doing anything. If you can not update your system then you could report your issues in the Broken Packages section.
thanks a lot for your comments!
- the logout/reboot: upon completion, a session logout should be sufficient. Yet, there are situations (i.e. running a Gnome session inside a KDE install) where the normal logout procedure does not work as expected, so I set a timer on the logout. If after a given time the logout has not completed, either because it's too slow or it didn't work for whatever other reason, then a reboot is enforced to apply the changes and the user has no means to change that, so it's ok.
- the prompt about the false message from Synaptic: that should only appear if Synaptic has to be reinstalled in order to get a new locale. If you 'go back' to a language which has been installed before then Synaptic does not need to be reinstalled and this message is indeed not needed. This is correct and I will fix that in a future version. At present, this is not a problem but simply a notifier window, nothing more.
good to hear you got it fixed and addlocale was not the culprit! Don't ask me anything about Gnome, as a die-hard KDE-fan I know virtually nothing about it. What I do like in GNOME is the easy switch between different languages, yet this comes at the expense of 200MB which was saved in the KDE installation iso to include other system software. But then, once installed we do not care that much about disk-space and it would be nice to have an easy language switcher between different installed localizations. I have started with a kind of next-generation addlocale which should be faster and provide even localizations for which we do not even have translations in PCLOS, meaning I 'collect' (= steal
) relevant information (mo-files) from other distros. Then I plan to include something like a 'switchlocale' subroutine which would mimic the language switcher from Gnome, but these are only some ideas for now. All this needs to be implemented, tested, and may turn out to not work at all
, who knows, I will see what I can do and keep you posted on any progress.