Guys, I think the problem is in how I moved the file from my main computer. I went through suggestions and was getting nowhere. Again, probbly a corrupt file. And, the file was too bloated anyhow. I created a new virtual machine for WinXP and did a complete new install of the OS. I followed that up by installing Quickbooks once more. It took a bit of time, but all is working now.
It made more sense to just start fresh than to wrestle with the older file. Plus, i can probably move this new file a bit more easily (and properly).
I'm marking this solved.
Thanks again for all the input. I'm saving this for future reference.