Hi. I am not new to PLOS (used it since P.92 on and off) but otherwise I am pretty much a linux newb (in the competence sense). I was having trouble with getting the screensaver to start up with the default KDE options. Also, I wanted to have a desktop and panel shortcut that would start the screensaver with a click. Am currently running PCLinuxOS 2013 KDE. So I set up xscreensaver as follows:
1. In synaptic, I uninstalled all screensaver software not explicitly reading xscreensaver (with an exception or two, most likely).
2. After configuring my desired screensaver using "xscreensaver-demo," I removed (after backing up) the "noblank.sh" script from autostart in system settings. I added xscreensaver to the autostart programs adding the command "xscreensaver -no-splash."
3. Here is the crucial part. I wrote a script (if one can call it that) titled xscreensaver.sh that reads:
3.5. I don't think the first line is even necessary, actually.
4. A link to this script was added as a new application and desktop and panel shortcuts created. Importantly, in advanced application options in icon settings, I unchecked "enable launch feedback." This removed any pesky sign of the screensaver running or having run in the taskbar.
5. Now, whenever I want to start the screensaver, I click this shortcut. Moving the mouse stops the screensaver.
6. It works! But perhaps my method is inelegant or will lead to problems. If all is well, I can write this up as a tutorial: how to create a shortcut for starting a screensaver in PCLinuxOS.
Feedback is greatly appreciated!