I do have firefox in /usr/bin. It appears to be a link Also in /usr/lib, where the actual file seems to live. . Don't know what %s means. I don't know anything about gconftool--there is
no useful help for it, and no man page at all. "Linux in a Nutshell" doesn't know it either.
I tried sylpheed. I am probably missing some setup information, but I get no graphics in the received email at all, like from TigerDirect, or LLBean, or whatever--just text.
If that's the way it works, I definitely will not use it. OTOH, it passes the https link to Firefox. (I thought I set it up to pass the link to Konqueror, but I must have been mistaken.
Anyway, that verifies that the problem is with Thunderbird, not F/F.
I installed all the multitude of files for clawsmail, and I'll see how that goes.
Still rather have T/B working properly!