FYI the last iso I built in mid 2012, worked just fine recognizing a Nexus 7 without any hacks or workarounds period, it was simply plug-and-play just like a USB stick or any other volume, and you could drag-n-drop files normally.
Now most who know me, know I don't do "rolling release", so as per normal, I did not do updates for months, everything continued to work fine.
Decided to chance it and update in late January, as usual there were some minor glitches, nothing too bad.
Just got around to trying to connect the Nexus again, and now it won't automatically connect as it did before, won't connect at all mostly, though I can get it to recognize it as a camera with some fiddling.
So, something in one of those updates, broke this connectivity, it's as simple as that. And it was simply never tested before the update got pushed.
I can provide a list of the specific files that got updated if anyone cares or would like to help troubleshoot the matter.