In addition to what Terry wrote, if you want to be notified about available updates, follow these steps:
1. Open the Configure your Computer (PCLinuxOS Control Center)
2. Click on System
3. Click on Manage System Services
4. Check APT to start at boot
5. Click on Start
6. Click OK
7. Open Synaptic Package Manager
8. Install "update-notifier"
9. Configure update notifier according to your needs.
Each time you boot or after the time you specify in its settings, update notifier will check for new updates and inform you accordingly...