I've just installed LXDE 1012.01 (full dvd) and am loving it, but unfortunately you are left to your own devices (pun intended) when it comes to printing support.
1. In the Configure your computer screens - Hardware - Configure printing and scanning, the Setup the printers ... selection has red + - icons and does absolutely nothing.
2. cups is not actually installed by default
Fortunately I have been here before, so, here's what to do.
1. Install cups and foomatic-db (you need foomatic to provide the correct ppd information for most printers created in the past 10 years). I (old dinosaur) use apt-get command line for this
, but you can probably figure out the synaptic alternative. As root user in a terminal,
apt-get install cups foomatic-db
Other prerequisites will be included. Enter 'y' to do the install.
2. Open a browser and go to http://localhost:631
. You will be prompted for the root user and password.
3. Click the link Adding printers and classes.
4. Click the button Add printer. cups will waste some time looking for a printer, but most likely not find one.
5. I have a Brother HL-4040CN network attached printer. Your mileage may vary at this point. In my case, all I do is select IPP printers, then enter the uri http://192.168.0.n:631/ipp
(the ip address of my printer on my home network), select Brother and HL-4040CN (that selection is provided by foomatic) and continue, then accept the default settings.
6. voila, I have a printer.