I have been using PCLinuxOS for a few years. A year ago, I created a server where I keep my music and my movie files. I offer those files to other systems by using samba shares.
This week I discovered, I was no longer able to open a movie or mp3 file on these shares with VLC on my PCLOS system.
Other programs still function correctly (subtitleeditor, clementine) and are still able to open these files as if they were stored on a local disk.
When I try to open a file, I get the message VLC is unable to open the MRL check the log for details.
I tried to create a logfile to collect data to determine the reason for these error messages, but I do not see VLC creating this file.