This week it seems that I have got my workhorse KDE-mini running extremely well, I may be wrong but after turning off prelink it seems very smooth. The system is fully updated. The smooth behaviour could also be my perception after having battled with some weird problem partly showing as very perceptible delays at random when typing and then suddenly this appears normal.
A real good time to make a liveCD backup as the system is rather customised and loosing it would be more than 20 hours work for me to get it right again, assuming no data was lost.
I only run my OS with one directory, the / directoryumount -a
indicated about 8 GB to be squeezed, du
exercise confirmed the size, in here there would then be about 6 GB in the /Videos directoryEdit:
Have repeated my usual prep stage before running mylivecd
, just to be sure to be sure:
[root@localhost gert]# umount -a
umount: /: device is busy.
(In some cases useful info about processes that use
the device is found by lsof( or fuser(1))
[root@localhost gert]# df
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 28G 13G 14G 49% /
[root@localhost gert]# du -sm /
Here we go:
[root@localhost gert]# mylivecd --gzip --nodir ^/home/gert/Videos /media/USB465-1B/Data-Recovered-100711/Data/x8-ISO_Files/MyLiveCDs/MiniMe/120130-MiniMe_09-no-tty.iso
mylivecd, version 0.9.4, http://pclinuxos.com/
Copyright (C) 2010, Texstar <texstar at gmail.com>
Created '/media/USB465-1B/Data-Recovered-100711/Data/x8-ISO_Files/MyLiveCDs/MiniMe/120130-MiniMe_09a-no-tty.iso' (3365,109,760 bytes) in 00:10:51
The last mylivecd
Created '/media/USB465-1B/Data-Recovered-100711/Data/x8-ISO_Files/2011/111015-MiniMe_08-no-tty.iso' (1983,744,000 bytes) in 00:08:07
Of course I don't remember how much I have installed since 111015=15 Nov 2011, but compressed extra 1.3 GB that seems wrong, like an ISO got mixed up with the system actually my first run there was an ISO from a download but I found that quickly by looking at file sizes.
I have tried some other way of finding out how much and where is on the partition:
[root@localhost /]# du -sm * | sort -nr | head -150
du: cannot access `proc/9662/task/9662/fd/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `proc/9662/task/9662/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `proc/9662/fd/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `proc/9662/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
[root@localhost /]# du -sm * | sort -nr | head -150 >>/home/gert/120130-summary_sizes.glk
[root@localhost /]# cd /home
[root@localhost home]# du -sm * | sort -nr | head -150
[root@localhost home]# cd gert
[root@localhost gert]# du -sm * | sort -nr | head -150
total about 12.794 GB, /Videos
total 6.075 GB leaving 6.719 GB to be compressed. Roughy estimate divide by 3 and I get 2.239 GB.
Having looked at the /usr
size perhaps my balance of 'allready' compressed files have grown.
Advice most welcome