Author Topic: Firefox: enabling privacy.  (Read 441 times)

Offline Dougo

Firefox: enabling privacy.
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:59:39 PM »
From last weeks LWN:
<start>
The ill effects of web trackers are well known, of course. In addition to the obvious (disclosing large amounts of personal data to advertisers), there are also law-enforcement programs, government and corporate espionage, and even healthcare companies that may be interested in observing one's habits. No doubt there are new buyers for such tracking information every day.

As of now, Firefox Tracking Protection must be enabled by the user manually changing the privacy.trackingprotection.enabled setting to true in Firefox's about:config page. It is a distinct feature from Firefox's Do Not Track user preference (which sends a header that, regrettably, many sites simply choose to ignore). The closest comparison is probably to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) add-on Privacy Badger—though Privacy Badger uses heuristics, rather than a blacklist, to decide which trackers to block.

<end quote >

My query is: where is this config file? I thought it would have been in 'home/.mozilla/firefox/*profiles.ini' but that seems to be relatively empty. I am sure others would like to enable this feature.
Thanks, Doug

Offline trytip

• PCLinuxOS KDE x64
Re: Firefox: enabling privacy.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »
just be careful you write down what you do so you can undo
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,132666
I love Windows ... I have them all around my house.

Offline Dougo

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
Thanks.
 I hate this type of semantics. It would be logical to assume that ENABLING 'Privacy Tracking Protection' would make you more private: It seems the opposite is the case!

regards, Doug
(who is not interested in losing privacy to enable speed)

Offline Oldengrey

• Huh? What??
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »
Thanks.
 I hate this type of semantics. It would be logical to assume that ENABLING 'Privacy Tracking Protection' would make you more private: It seems the opposite is the case!

regards, Doug
(who is not interested in losing privacy to enable speed)

When you get to the configuration page and access that entry, you will notice at the far right of the line that the value status of privacy tracking protection enabled is false. Double clicking changes the status to true8)