Author Topic: Just need some info on the init sys.[SOLVED]  (Read 3088 times)

kensum

Just need some info on the init sys.[SOLVED]
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was interested in what init system pclos is using now. What I tried to use to find out did not work. Thanks for any feedback. ken

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
Re: Just need some info on the init sys.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was interested in what init system pclos is using now. What I tried to use to find out did not work. Thanks for any feedback. ken

sysvinit

kensum

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »
Thanks Tex; any plans to move to systemd.

Offline Serj

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
And for what?
Because it is fashionable?  ;D

Offline JohnW_57

• PCLinuxOS Tester
PCLinuxOS KDE Plasma/Frameworks 5 on: home build system:  Intel Core i7 4770K  (3.5 Ghz), Asus Z78-K motherboard, Corsair 8GB ddr3 (2x4) memory, MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Zero Frozr 4GB gddr5, Iiyama Prolite G2773HS 27" monitor, Samsung 840 EVO 120 SSD, 1TB WD (green) HDD (sata), LG GH24 DV

kensum

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
   Serj, I don't know what fashionable has to do with it. johnW good link to one I had not found. As users we have little choice in this and as admin of a distro the choice maybe forced upon you. I have not found what KDE is going to do but Gnome is dependent on systemd. I'm sure Tex has heard what kde plans on doing. This whole thing is a problem most don't want or one that does not effect what they are doing, but may have a hard time avoiding.

My main concern;  I run several systems with each using a different init and so far I'm able to use legacy grub to boot all. I feel that at some point the way things are going there are going to be problems and then I as a user will have to decide which camp I need to be in. So even the lowly enduser will get run over with this situation.  :-\

Offline Serj

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
Grub legacy and grub 2 doesn't depend on systemd. KDE doesn't depend too.
In other matters, trust our boss, he knows better what and when to change.  ;)

No need to fix what is not broken...

Offline Tex

• Administrator
  • Super Villain
  • Space City, Tx
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »

Not until I am forced to at gunpoint. I looked at 2 different distributions source rpm and both of them have over 140 patches applied to the systemd 208 sourcecode?

kensum

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies all. And Tex, that maybe the best position of all to take right now..

Offline footstep11

• Linux User: #63879
Re: Just need some info on the init sys.[SOLVED]
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
One of the reasons I passed to pclos from mandriva was that the latter used systemd... a real pain for what I was looking for (for sure it will be attractive to other, but I had only problems).

Mauro
CPU: Intel 6-Core i7-5820K (Haswell rev.2)
nVidia GeForce GTX 750 (drv 430.64),  16GB DDR4 RAM
‎Intel C610/X99 HD Audio / Intel I210 Gigabit Network
Supermicro C7X99-OCE
KDE Plasma:5.17.5 Frameworks:5.66.0 Apps:19.12.1
X.org:1.20.6 Qt:4.8.7/5.12.6
Kernel:5.4.11-pclos1

Online Agent Smith

• PCLinuxOS Tester
    • Brazilian PCLinuxOS Community
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:53:46 AM »

Not until I am forced to at gunpoint. I looked at 2 different distributions source rpm and both of them have over 140 patches applied to the systemd 208 sourcecode?

GREAT SIR!!! I'm so happy to have your word about that atrocity. You know, I was afraid to ask you, and you give me the answer I did not want to hear.
Thanks a lot, for being the AWESOME leader you are. You inspire us to keep working and to fight the EVIL of deat rat.
GOD bless you and all our PCLinuxOS family!!!

Cheers!!!

Online present_arms

• PCLinuxOS Tester
  • TrinityDE Big Daddy and Openbox Remasterer
    • Trinity PCLinuxOS Remaster
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:58 AM »
LKJ, systemd takes a lot away like human readable logs, they are now in a binary form making it hard as hell to see what went wrong, it takes over services too, and evil of evils does all this as PID 1. have a look herehttp://boycottsystemd.org/ that should clear some things up for you :D

EDIT:just found this too http://monolight.cc/2011/05/the-systemd-fallacy/ I'm very happy that Tex doesn't want systemd unless forced, I've heard through the grapevine that even openBSD (I think, could have been FreeBSD) is thinking of using it too. dagnabbit

Online present_arms

• PCLinuxOS Tester
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
You are correct, gnome3 does use systemd as a hard dependency, there is a reason the guys at Mint forked Gnome3 to become MATE  ;D The idea of systemd was a good one at first. It allowed parallel services to be run at boot time, and a few other things to speed up the boot process, but for some reason it's started to be a Frankenstein init with it taking a lot away from the sys admin (It's actually designed for server rather than desktop use). a lot of sys admins are angered over this (and rightly so). The reason a lot of distro's seem to be changing is because of who the depend on, we have 4 or different distro's really, the rest are remakes, for example, the top ones off the top of my head are RedHat, Debian, Slackware and Gentoo, all other distro's apart from a couple are derived from those 4 , of those 4, 2 are going systemd. Redhat obviously as it's their toy and Debian, so with Redhat making it as default, that means Mandriva, OpenSUSE and CentOS will also adopt it, as for the Debian camp. you have Ubuntu and all of their siblings too adopting it, that only leave those based on slackware and pclinuxos (which was a fork of Mandriva, hence the tools used) there is also Crux that doesn't use it also (not sure of the base for Crux). I hope this cleared things a little.

Online present_arms

• PCLinuxOS Tester
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
I forgot about cinnamon :P Slack i believe uses sysv and always has done, there are a few that use upstart. I have slack in a VM one of many OS's some linux, some not :D (and no windows, but I do have the clone reactos)