There were a lot of updates to the PCLinuxOS repository last week. Here is a list of interesting updates and new packages.
- MythTV packages were updated. MythTV is a personal video recorder (PVR) application
- All of the LXDE desktop core components were updated to their latest versions
- Google Chrome brower for Linux was added for users to play with even though it is not recommended at this time for general consumer use. This version has plug-in and theme support. All I can say is boy this thing is fast and fairly stable considering it hasn’t reached beta quality.
- Our favorite virtualization software package Virtualbox OSE was updated to version 3.0.4. This package allows you to run an entire OS such as Windows XP or another Linux distribution in virtualization mode on your desktop. This is a great way to test Linux distributions first before committing one to your hard drive.
- The mighty Firefox web browser was updated to version 3.5.2 which brought in some security and stability updates.
- KDE 4.3.0 packages were completed and many users are converting over from KDE 3 to KDE 4 and testing out the new desktop from kde.org
- Wine the Windows emulator was updated to 1.1.27. Wine allows users to run various Windows program right on their Linux system.
- Two games got updated Globulation and Hedwars. Both are fun to play.
Packages new to the repository include:
- Eatfeed – A news feed reader
- Gejengel – A music player
- IfreeBudget – A java based budgeting and finance program
- Roxbox – a cool alternative frontend for various mp3 players
- Tuxcall – caller id software for modems that support it
- Freerapid – a java based downloading program for rapidshare and other file sharing archives
- Goobox – a CD player and ripper application
- InvulgoTracker – Time tracker for your tasks & projects
In testing this week:
- Bash – updated to 4.0
- Samba – upated to 3.3.6 Samba allows Linux and Windows to share files and folders over a network.
- Kernel – Kernel 22.214.171.124 was added
- Hplip – hplip software for HP printers was updated to 3.9.8